We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Spring Clean...  (Read 1433 times)

Mylow

Spring Clean...
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Hello all, new to the fourm!

I've got a Sierra 4x4 with a Cosworth BOA that's been sat in my garage for well over a year, she was retired due to MOT failing rear arches (which have now got worse!) and a rattle in the bottom end... I've finally saved up enough to get her back on the road, but before i do the underneath of the car and the engine bay are caked in oil. Previous garage used the wrong type of hose and the oil melted through dumping it across the A46 and all over the car.

So I need some advice, now the sun is out I want to spend a weekend getting her cleaned up before she goes to get welded and re-painted, any recommendations on what‚‚žÂs best to use?

Cilit Bang? Bit of lemon squeezy?

=D

Offline ibrooks

• Advanced Member
Spring Clean...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 15:30:21 PM »
White spirit is about the best thing you can buy in quantity to get rid of oil (obviously petrol and other highly volatile stuff is pretty good but it gets pricey). For parts use an old baking tray (or a new one if they're being sold cheap) and just submerge them. For big fixed things a jam-jar of the stuff and a cheap paintbrush to slosh it on and work it in (an old toothbrush does the trick for nooks and crannies). I've also used a plant spray filled with white-spirit on an engine recently - spray on and then work in with a brush before rinsing off with more from the spray. Finally on areas where you need to then get rid of the white-spirit (if you're going to be painting) use soapy water but for most areas just wipe them off afterwards and the remaining white spirit will evaporate over time (quickly on areas that get hot like an engine).

Iain
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 15:31:27 PM by ibrooks »

Offline Cortiworth IV

• Donation Sponsor
    • http://
Spring Clean...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 18:39:30 PM »
Quote from: Mylow
Hello all, new to the fourm!

I've got a Sierra 4x4 with a Cosworth BOA that's been sat in my garage for well over a year, she was retired due to MOT failing rear arches (which have now got worse!) and a rattle in the bottom end... I've finally saved up enough to get her back on the road, but before i do the underneath of the car and the engine bay are caked in oil. Previous garage used the wrong type of hose and the oil melted through dumping it across the A46 and all over the car.

So I need some advice, now the sun is out I want to spend a weekend getting her cleaned up before she goes to get welded and re-painted, any recommendations on what‚‚žÂs best to use?

Cilit Bang? Bit of lemon squeezy?

=D

I agree that white spirit is about the best detergent you can use.  Ordinary diesel fuel work just as well and is even less flamable.  
Soak it, brush it, spray it... whatever you find the most convenient.
Use hot soap water when all the goo is gone to remove the solvent. Important if intend to put on some paint afterwards.

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
Spring Clean...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 19:13:08 PM »
if you want to repaint the car, dont start using cleaners or anything with sillicone in it.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk