Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: How low does your hang?  (Read 1907 times)

Janspeedcapri

How low does your hang?
« on: August 26, 2008, 17:28:52 PM »
Just got my alloy one this morning - its not right so its going back for mods. Cheif among them is that it seems to sit a bit low - Jims at Alloy racing fab has been very understanding (hes done a faultless job to my faulty design) and told me not worry - well sort it out (top bloke)

What would help me out imensely is if someone with a standard tank on their capri can tell me how low the standard item hangs at the point nearest the axle  - that is the distance between the bottom of the spare wheel well and the bottom of the tank - just behind the axle. last thing i want is to rip it off on one of them speed bumps that are just in the centre of the road. Grimbos not about or i'd go round and look at his again...please help if ya can

Janspeedcapri

How low does your hang?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 15:16:22 PM »
well I know the answer now - just rang a fella sellin one and got him to measure it, with the story that I'm thinkin of buyin it for a custom job - naughty of me, but needs must    

IansSaph

How low does your hang?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 16:32:06 PM »
hehe, love it, needs must indeed, i hope he is a member reading this....

Janspeedcapri

How low does your hang?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 17:44:26 PM »
probably, the seller on the bay is called retroford    do ya think they'l come an kneecap me    

despite my concerns, it seems jim made it the same thickness as the original at the front, true to my plan - I'd forgoten how low the tank sits. the back edge is too thick though..at 100mm it shows under the valance   so Jims gonna put it on a diet somehow. He put the connections on the wrong side (tut tut  ) so he has to cut the ends off anyway, so I guess he'll cut a stip out the back and close it down an inch or so...which is a pain but hey - tell ya wot though, it didn't half look shiny and posh  its just as well he made shiny stainless straps to hold it on or the feckin magpies would have it away  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 17:45:20 PM by Janspeedcapri »

IansSaph

How low does your hang?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
to be fair i had to send my intake pipe back as the flange was at the wrong angle but he sorted it and resent out at no extra cost.

He still gets my vote.

Janspeedcapri

How low does your hang?
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 15:19:20 PM »
absolutely - the poor fella had to work from some halfbaked, halfassed plan I had in my head - this is often the way with custom fabrication. The quality of the work was spot on though - nice welding, nice folds and even swage lines for rigidity.

IansSaph

How low does your hang?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 16:09:42 PM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
absolutely - the poor fella had to work from some halfbaked, halfassed plan I had in my head -

Amazing! just like my instruction to him!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk