We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Extream?  (Read 4265 times)

IansSaph

Extream?
« on: August 22, 2008, 15:36:39 PM »
In the list of things for my turbo conversion is obviously sump swap. this basically involves removing the engine or the x menber either way the engine box and most the suspension is off at that point.

I'm not happy with the condition of my shell, its had some poor welding work on it before i bought it, and it irritates me.

Now, mint Saph shells are rare but.... any one here think i'm daft to reshell it while its in such a state of undress.

It seems like the right opertunity to me....

Janspeedcapri

Extream?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 16:48:18 PM »
As you know, I warped both rear quarters and my rear panel welding them so they will need filling, which is distressing me no end....so i feel your pain BUT remeber, we are not boyd friggin coddington here and noone will care when its all made good - even you, trust me mate, just get it done and leave perfectionism to Ferrari and the like.

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 16:52:40 PM »
hope not.....  Boyds dead!  

I'm being picky, i'll leave the reshell till i slam it into the side on the track......

Boyd proper reminds me of about 2 or three of my old bosses in the bodyshop game. Amuses me.

Janspeedcapri

Extream?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 17:18:12 PM »
Thats right - If you want to reshell it in the future, as a seperate project because the tin worm has eaten it or you met wiv a mishap, thats a better reason and it will be simple enough if all your doing is taking off and putting on - right now me and you both have all sort of other plans and a reshell at this stage might just brake the camels back if you see wot i mean - don't bite off more than you can chew - you'l end up like me wiv loads of bits and peices and months of graft.
I will probably fit x pack arches to mine at some stage in the future, so the sins of this project will be cut off and scraped anyway.
Boyd always seemed like a complete asshole to me - new fuckall but to moan and badger the boys who did all the work he took credit for - rip never the less....and come to think of it, I saw them putting filler on wiv a trowel on more than one project/occasion - like they say...if someone puts filler on but noones there to see it till after paint...did it realy happen????  

Offline just4george

• Donation Sponsor
    • http://
Extream?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 19:38:11 PM »
I don't think it's extream to reshell, but maybe a bit over the top, I have done it but for two good reasons, 1 the last owner of my car decided to put one of those hidious aftermarket sun roofs in that always leak until you silicone them shut, and 2 managed to buy a brand new shell, great reasons for me but a lorra lorra work!!
Photos soon.

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Extream?
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 20:13:26 PM »
If you have the space, buy a shell, gut it and start fresh. Get it acid dipped and phosphated then get every single panel perfect. Seam weld it to get more strength and maybe cage it. Paint the shell throughout and rewire it and build it up minus running gear.
In the meantime, use the old car as a testing mule till you're happy with the setup then strip it down. Rebuild all the componants and paint/powdercoat everything. Transfer all the nice clean goodies to your new body and you've got yourself a stunner.

That's providing you have the space!!!  

Mik  

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »
thats my thought, i'll get mine on the road for now and start next year, space isn't a problem.

ooo new fuel lines and clips.... simple things.

last time i looked acid dipping and phosphating cost near 2k.... still bout right?

Offline just4george

• Donation Sponsor
Extream?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 14:20:19 PM »
2K!!!, a brand new unused shell for an xr4i cost me 1100 quid delivered to me from an XROC member in Glasgow.
Photos soon.

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 15:31:47 PM »
thats a 4i shell tho, Saph shells have all been bought up, appart from LHD ones i thought, I'm never going to spend 2k on dipping and coating. i don't agree with it unless is a really old ford. but a full rebuild from a 'new' shell would be a nice project for next year once the engine work is done.

Offline just4george

• Donation Sponsor
Extream?
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 23:55:33 PM »
sound, I just hope it does not take as long as mine has, NINE yes nine years
Photos soon.

jaffa

Extream?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 02:59:21 AM »
if i had the space an money then id defo build mine back up with a new shell

you never know when i get the house it might have a big enough garage!

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »
this is my mates new bodyshop, he has a spare corner....

to be honest its the free time i'm short of. house wife and kid doesn't leave much hobbby time as i'm sure your all aware

Janspeedcapri

Extream?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
Quote from: just4george
sound, I just hope it does not take as long as mine has, NINE yes nine years

you can't rush these things mate  

Offline Damocos

Extream?
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:10:30 AM »
I would do as the others have said, get yours up and running and see how it goes then i would look for a late low mileage saff, doesnt matter what model as long as its clean and rot free then you can transfer your stuff to it. For example i see many saff Azura's going for quite low money and alot have been well cared for
IPB Image

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »
missed a nice one on ebay last week for £390 92 spec 1 owner....

Janspeedcapri

Extream?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 20:00:20 PM »
Ian, found the details in classicford mag - CENTRAL BLAST CLEAN - 01295 278233. they will strip the whole thing of underseal, stoneguard, the lot for £750. They are in Banbury so its a trailer job but you know its only half hour from me so you could come round and say hello    ...and then rip the piss mercylessly out of my lack of progress

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
Ian, found the details in classicford mag - CENTRAL BLAST CLEAN - 01295 278233. they will strip the whole thing of underseal, stoneguard, the lot for £750. They are in Banbury so its a trailer job but you know its only half hour from me so you could come round and say hello    ...and then rip the piss mercylessly out of my lack of progress

He he as tempting as that is nick.... i'll not be ready for that till next year. And you better of finished by then,

Acid dipping is something eles tho, the whole car is imerssed in acid and it comes out naked!

I'd blast the thing my self, there is a trailer manufacter place i used to work at in my youth that have the facilities (800cfm compresser!)

I hate blasting, the bloody grit gets everywhere!

popuptoaster

Extream?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
ive reshelled loads of cars, its cheaper and faster than fixing a bad one, but ONLY if your 100% sure the replacemnet shell is  a goodun.

Janspeedcapri

Extream?
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
800 cfm    you sure? I wouldn't like to be the one holding the gun/nozzle   OR have my car on the receiving end  thats the power of a 737 jet engine  

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=426630482424974837]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=426630482424974837

I did mine with a road compressor (big yellow deisel one you tow around) and that was 80 cfm (for running 2 jackhammers etc)  ...and yes, I was finding grit in various orifices for weeks after - not just the cars either

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
800 cfm    you sure? I wouldn't like to be the one holding the gun/nozzle   OR have my car on the receiving end  thats the power of a 737 jet engine  

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=426630482424974837]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=426630482424974837

I did mine with a road compressor (big yellow deisel one you tow around) and that was 80 cfm (for running 2 jackhammers etc)  ...and yes, I was finding grit in various orifices for weeks after - not just the cars either

yep 800 cfm, it was the size of a transit van and had massive inch pipework! it was regulated down obviously, i'm only a light lad and it took some keeping hold of!

i had the sealed space suit and it still got in my boxers!

IansSaph

Extream?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
this a similar design to the one but this is a 2000CFM! one....

Janspeedcapri

Extream?
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 14:11:38 PM »
blimey - i had no idea  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk