Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: How much boost should i run on my 2.8?  (Read 7428 times)

Janspeedcapri

How much boost should i run on my 2.8?
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
O.k, ive understood that a 12 psi wastegate will alow 12 psi of boost - seemed obvious but you never know so i checked    

Now I need to know how much boost i can run on my 2.8...is 12psi a bit much? would 8 bit a good bet? any clues appreciated  

The engine is as far as I know in very good nick - did compression test and it did very well, it has no funny noises or leaks, runs perfectly, good oil pressure and temps. I half suspect a rebuild was done at some point as it does seem to run/sound like new.

samol

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 23:06:56 PM »
If you are not going to drop the compression ratio, and are going to boost it with standard ratio, then I believe that 6 or 7 psi is the max that the engine will "safely" run with. Cheers Ray

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 23:28:38 PM »
Cheers Ray - better not run 12 then  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 23:29:34 PM by Janspeedcapri »

IansSaph

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
depends on you intercooler. with out one i would run more than 4 or 5. but with a decent one and if you think your engines in good nick... hehe i'd push it to may be 9 or 10 but keeping an eye on all readings and following the rules that people seem to forget when they get their first turbo. Make sure she is nice and warm before being enthusiastic with the peddal cold pistons crack/melt easily

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 15:42:12 PM »
Ive had lots of turbo cars..just haven't built one before   I have a very nice and Janspeed intercooler for this and the engines sound - Not sure now whether to get an adjustable wastegate or a fixed one + boostcontroller to adjust it. I see the benefit of being able to play with on the move but once its set, i wouldn't touch it so it would then be just another complication. An adjustable wastegate just minimizies al that....not sure tho  
There were kits which ran on standard compression and were boosted to 250bhp without problem. I need to know what they were running psi-wise for 250bhp - and run a tad less concidering they were basing their setting on new engines...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I'll get there  

IansSaph

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 17:14:45 PM »
are they 125 standard? if so 250 "should" be "about" 1 bar.... thats 14.5psi mate.    

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 19:35:18 PM »
Quote from: IansSaph
are they 125 standard? if so 250 "should" be "about" 1 bar.... thats 14.5psi mate.    

2.8 capri engines are 160 bhp standard so maybe 10 or 12 psi for 250?

tonto

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 20:18:19 PM »
mine runs 10.5 psi gives 260bhp. with a stand alone ecu on extra injector. intercooler, oil cooler,bleed valve , hybrid turbo & dump valve. comp ratio lowered by tt. goes well!

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 20:48:26 PM »
TT did it with thicker head gaskets didn't they...i might look into that - cheers tonto

samol

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 23:13:35 PM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
2.8 capri engines are 160 bhp standard so maybe 10 or 12 psi for 250?

HI, the 2.8 was rated by Ford to produce 143 bhp at 5800 rpm. But as usual Ford were more than optamistic with that figure, and the engines struggled to make 130 bhp, with "most" well below that. One tuning company tried 20 2.8's and could not get better than 125 bhp with the engine in "from the factory" trim. The 2.9 was a little more accurate and would get over the 140 mark in nearly all cases. So your 160 bhp figure is a bit like the one Ford put out, but in this case VERY optamistic.        Cheers Ray

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 00:41:09 AM »
I think your talking about non capri 2.8 engines...

In Europe the 2.8 was produced with carburetor (132 bhp), mechanical fuel injection (Bosch K-Jetronic, 160 bhp), and electronic injection (Ford EEC-IV, 150 bhp). Electronic injection only featured on the 2.8 Granada models for one year before being replaced with the 2.9 unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

btw - the tuner I think your talking about was none other than Turbotechnics - they  claimed they saw 138 from the rollers but when you concider they were in the business of selling costly upgrades, its a bit sus imo....their claim of 138 or less sure made their kits look good AND helped motivate people to get one.

Ive heard and beleive that a lot of 2.8 injections produced less than the claimed 160 but not much - even sceptics say 150 bhp was common. Apparently, if the famously ticky valvetrain is adjusted to run quietly, you lose 20+bhp - and this has been done a lot. Driving it, I find 150 totaly credible - with the power you mention it just would not go as well as it does. Ive had lots of quick cars and this thing is faster than my wifes  clio 16v was and we had that from new
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:25:36 AM by Janspeedcapri »

tonto

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 13:58:16 PM »
TT did it with thicker head gaskets didn't they...i might look into that - cheers tonto
was 2nd hand when i got it but invoice shows pistons & head machined. no cr quoted though
rr print out says 272bhp. but i got 260 at my local. seems enough though

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 17:36:40 PM »
I'm sure 260 in a capri is mental fast. I had 270 in an audi that weighed at least 250 kg more and that was like shite off a shovel. Sounds like your capri was sorted very nicely with the pistons and headwork - I can't afford that kinda stuff now I'm having the paint done. I think i should probs run about 8 psi max...again cheers tonto....btw - i'd love to see the engine bay if your up for posting a pic  

tonto

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 19:31:47 PM »
Hope this helps. have change the coil to a msd blaster 2 since this photo. as the spark was being blown out at 5400rpm its ok now
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 19:34:12 PM by tonto »

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 19:45:22 PM »

Gotta say, I've never like the way the pipe is crushed to get past the powersteering res...but thanks - nice looking bay

Offline revhead

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »
I think your talking about non capri 2.8 engines...

In Europe the 2.8 was produced with carburetor (132 bhp), mechanical fuel injection (Bosch K-Jetronic, 160 bhp), and electronic injection (Ford EEC-IV, 150 bhp). Electronic injection only featured on the 2.8 Granada models for one year before being replaced with the 2.9 unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

btw - the tuner I think your talking about was none other than Turbotechnics - they  claimed they saw 138 from the rollers but when you concider they were in the business of selling costly upgrades, its a bit sus imo....their claim of 138 or less sure made their kits look good AND helped motivate people to get one.

Ive heard and beleive that a lot of 2.8 injections produced less than the claimed 160 but not much - even sceptics say 150 bhp was common. Apparently, if the famously ticky valvetrain is adjusted to run quietly, you lose 20+bhp - and this has been done a lot. Driving it, I find 150 totaly credible - with the power you mention it just would not go as well as it does. Ive had lots of quick cars and this thing is faster than my wifes  clio 16v was and we had that from new

Regarding the valvetrain, does that mean the clearances on the inlet/exhaust should be on the loose side of book clearances or do people overtighten them?

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:02:33 PM »
I think it was in an old CCI mag or an old article scanned up onto a capri forum...I will find it and post it up but they reckoned if you over tighten even slightly you drop a lot of power. It was either weslake or swaymar chaps who said it i think, in relation to the ticky noise produced when set correctly - I'll find it for ya

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 18:11:28 PM »
heres what i was talking about - its just a post on pistonheads as it turns out   sounds right to me though    "Regards power, I've chatted to a few hillclimbers about this. Stock power is 160hp (Capri motor) on the nail. Dyno'ed and proven. However, if the valve clearances are set just slightly tight they lose masses of hp. Chap was telling me about his stock 1982 Capri (in 1982) and he took it in for a service and it came back a dog. Went straight to the rollers and found only 120hp. After two days on the rollers opened valves to book and voila 160hp. Same chap (hillclimbed and sprinted his Capri) then opened up the four port intake as far as poss (inc plenty of tigging)and power went up to 182hp. He also suggested fitting twin chokes as he reckoned it improved part throttle response. On the rollers they made no difference. He got upto 202hp. "
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 18:12:11 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 18:37:32 PM »
That's right, over tightening the rockers on these engines completely strangles the power, surprising how many people do it just to make it sound quieter............ me, I'd rather have the power and a noisey engine ta  

I'm running 6 psi on mine at the moment and making a cats whisker under 200 bhp and 227 ft/lb, I have mahle low compression pistons in it so it sounld take 14psi no probs, flippin' fast as it is though, kills more powerful things dead, gotta love the torque  

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 18:46:22 PM »
Nice - where did ya get the pistons? and how much were they if ya don't mind me askin   i take it youve got better rods too?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 18:47:08 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 19:19:21 PM »
It does have uprated rods but as I didn't build it (I bought it after 2000 miles) I don't know what make they are or where he got them from. I do know that the bottom end build cost him £1800 for the rods and pistons though  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 19:19:40 PM by littlegems4x4 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk