We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Angle Grinder 1 Hand lost  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Taps

• http://www.fordpower.org.uk
Angle Grinder 1 Hand lost
« on: July 12, 2008, 19:20:39 PM »
Was making my side exit exhaust today

, bit of blood cant be much I thought   then I washed it and saw just how deep it had gone  

So off I trots to A & E, 3 1/2 hrs later after a clean out, X Rays and a Plastic Surgeon digging about in it I was on me way home all stitched up, a box of antibiotics  and a " You was bloody lucky there" from the Doc  

So beware, they have a nasty bite when things go wrong  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 19:21:36 PM by Taps »

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 19:44:30 PM »
 Sh*t mate that's not good  
Hope it gets better quickly, can you still move it around and all fingers etc?

Get some relaxing in

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 19:47:42 PM »
something simulair happend to me a few years back. while cutting out a piece off sheet metal, the disk broke. piece's off it whent straith true the glasses what i was wearing, in to a eye. it took 2 operations just to get the small pieces of the disk and glass out off my eye. that was a very painfull experiance.

greetz paul.

capri v8 driver.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 20:24:35 PM »
Was that through gauntlets?

Bad luck m8, had disk shatter on me and dig in...shat myself but been lucky.

Did you go back later to take the photo or as it happend??/

Exhaust is looking mean!! I guess it may be a little quieter than the Garage just after the disk exploded..

TT

p.s.

I bet the Eye doctor though what the fooks he got in it now!!

Offline Taps

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 20:56:55 PM »
Quote from: TwinTurbo
Was that through gauntlets?

Bad luck m8, had disk shatter on me and dig in...shat myself but been lucky.

Did you go back later to take the photo or as it happend??/

Exhaust is looking mean!! I guess it may be a little quieter than the Garage just after the disk exploded..

TT

p.s.

I bet the Eye doctor though what the fooks he got in it now!!

No just through bare skin, I will be getting some chain gauntlets before I go near it again  

Funny that when the nurse came out to get me she said which eye is it this time      

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 21:13:32 PM »
Yer git...I shite meself when i saw the title   ...bloody glad its in hand tho  

Both yours and Pauls top my little scare when a wirebrush wheel jumped back at me, caught my jumper and wound it self up to my face! the torque on the grinder (which refused to stop - bloody locking switch) and started throttling me with me own jumper...i managed to reach the plug and pull it out but now I'm a lot more careful...when i remeber  

be careful lads

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 21:15:28 PM »
i have the number for the first aid in the hospital programmed in to my phone. just in case......

i hope your hand gets beter very soon.

hello TT,

yes, the doctors loved me for that.

first i went to my normale doctor, and he used a needle to get a few splinters out, but the next day, i could not see tru my eye and it hurted really bad, so the doctor sent me to the hospital

but the first time, when they operate, they only used local anaesthetic in the eye, during the operation, i could see the needle's and nive go and cut into my eye. because my head was in a frame to keep me from moving, i could not move or get away. thats a real nightmare. i think i heard myself scream.

a day later the doctor needed to operate again, but this time i asked for a complet anaesthetic. i did not wanted to experiance that again.

1 year later the same thing happend again, this time it was not so bad and because i went to the doctor very fast, the splinters did not had time to go deeper into the eye, so they could get it out very easy.

greetz paul.

capri v8 driver.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 21:23:31 PM »
I know that pain - was cutting some wood with a trimsaw and got a splinter right in cornea - surgeon removed it, went home, got drunk THEN the pain went epic - was screaming at the top of my voice all night and punched a big hole in the bedroom wall above my pillow - it hurts to even remember it.

I know of a guy who got swarf from turning some steel in a lathe in his eye - they used a magnet to pull it all out

Offline Taps

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 21:34:23 PM »
I had a bloke at A & E put a needle in my eye, thought he had put the pain killer in, well he hadn't, I swore at him he jumped then the twat says better put some pain killer in there which he did and shot out the room, when he came back he said does that feel numb, so I said tell ya what if it aint your be the first one to feel it  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 21:35:43 PM by Taps »

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 21:38:25 PM »
This is a bloke from another forum who had a cup brush kick back on him - lucky he was wearing them overalls on top of jeans  
[attachmentid=2363]

IansSaph

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 22:01:24 PM »
Yep, its happened to us all. i've got a scar on my finger where the grinder went down nearly to the bone, always used the guard after that.

Nick, happened loads!  its funny now when the cup brush on the grinder gets your jumper and winds its self up you, the buffer does it to when your not quite paying attention....

All part of the game.

Taps, the scaryest thing ever is haveing the eye doc pick rust shards out of your eye with the big neddle. "this won't hurt at all " they say!!!! like they know!

Bigest bollecking i got was one friday night in A&E when the doc said what time did this get into your eye? I said 10am Tuesday....

Ian

samol

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 00:09:39 AM »
Taps, I notice that the handle isn't fitted on your grinder,     and now I hope that you know why they supply it  . It's much harder for the grinder to run amock if you have two hands holding it. Sorry to hear that you got damaged, could have been a lot worse, remember safety first mate  . Regards Ray

Ovalracer

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »
Hope you're hand gets better soon Rob.

A few years back I took a wheel off and put both hands onto the brake disc to check for binding and that's when I remembered I'd just been out driving and the discs would probably be a little hot.    Spent the next 2 weeks with both hands wrapped in plastics bags covered in cream, and they smelt something terrible for as I couldn't wash them.    

And a mate of mine was cutting tyres off wheels with an angle grinder when it burst into flames so he dropped it. But he'd locked the button on and it screamed off down his garden and set fire to his hedge before he could pull the plug out    Lucky not to have injured anyone, he now takes them to the tyre fitters to get them removed.

Stixwould_Sierra's

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 10:09:45 AM »
You were very lucky  

Offline tiff

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
ouch...glad ur ok tho

glyn

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Hope your ok Taps mate done the top of me thumb once happens so fast..good luck my man...glyn

Offline mouldytbags

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
Sh*t mate get well soon.i never use any protection when usung the angle grinder. what a Tw*t i am.lesson learnt on your behalf,cheers.get well soon mate.

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 18:37:21 PM »
Quote from: mouldytbags
Sh*t mate get well soon.i never use any protection when usung the angle grinder. what a Tw*t i am.lesson learnt on your behalf,cheers.get well soon mate.

My Gauntletts have cuts in them that would have been my fingers, I only risk it occasionaly..  And Having had a blob of sierra land in my eye ( it was only slightly painful for 4 days and the Doc could clearly see the typical ford Rust ) even with goggle on I am very wearey....

TT

Offline Leebay

• LDSEngineering.co.uk
  • Donation Sponsor
    • LDS Engineering
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 20:51:47 PM »
jeez that was a lucky one   take it easy fella.

LDS Engineering.co.uk

Cylinder head Repairs/skimming, Engine|Brake|Suspension|Service components, Number/show plates & Custom stickers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk