Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: My XR4x4 Twin Turbo  (Read 2999 times)

Offline tt225

• Advanced Member
    • http://
My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« on: February 11, 2008, 16:23:23 PM »
Now I`ve discovered how to post a picture  , thought I`d put up a few of my xr4x4`s.
Originally I had a nice white one - no twin turbo but only 1 elderly owner from new (not me!) that was written off when a van ran in to the back of it at a junction  
Theres a photo of it in top form and another after I`d took all the bits off and the shell was on its way to the scrappys  .
[attachmentid=2142] [attachmentid=2143]
My replacement was registered on 14th Feb 1989 by Ford and had the 225 twin turbo conversion done on 23rd February 89 by Turbo Technics themselves.

[attachmentid=2136] [attachmentid=2141]

It was owned by Ford or rather Bristol Street Motors in Birmingham for about a year and used as a demonstrator for their performance conversion department which I think was called `Powerhouse`, although I cant seem to find much info out about them, I`ve rung Bristol Street but like Turbo technics all their records are filed away somewhere - there are a few firms called powerhouse but I think these were the first with that name - I`d be intersted in any information anybodys got, just out of interest

[attachmentid=2133]

I bought it off a bloke in London, the 3rd owner (plus Ford) who`d only had it a few months - it had been in storage for years when he got it, spent enough on it to get an mot and tax for a year then I think he was put off by the amount of stuff that wanted sorting - I got most of it done now though...

I took it down to Turbo Technics to let them sort out a few problems - it was breathing like a steam train - if I remember right the non return valve was fitted wrong way round and the mio filter had fell apart  - something I found out was apparently the original TT Bottger wheels that are on the car ( theyre off at the moment waiting for a tidy up - put some standard xr4x4 alloys on) are supposed to have different wheel nuts than the normal ford alloy nuts - they had  set lying around and charged me £2 each - not bad eh?
[attachmentid=2140] [attachmentid=2135] [attachmentid=2137]                                        

Cant make my mind up though whether to put the original lights back on or not, if I did it`d be virtually all original then...

[attachmentid=2132] [attachmentid=2134]

Going back to uploading photos, I`ve had to resize all mine from 3mb down to about 200kb (800x600). Why are some photos thumbnails and some full size - anyone know?

I`ve added a scan of the TT spec sheet that came with the car - its a 225 version by the way.

[attachmentid=2138][attachmentid=2139]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 18:33:40 PM by tt225 »

Rob01

My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 20:39:28 PM »
Nice Sierra thats a very nice colour

I like these lights , what make are they?

Offline tt225

• Advanced Member
My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 20:49:29 PM »
Just standard Sierra mid 1990 on I reckon - theyre off a 91 LX to be precise and thats knocking around now looking abit odd with the orange lights off my original white 4x4 - confused?

jaffa

My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:35:56 AM »
Quote from: tt225
Now I`ve discovered how to post a picture  , thought I`d put up a few of my xr4x4`s.
Originally I had a nice white one - no twin turbo but only 1 elderly owner from new (not me!) that was written off when a van ran in to the back of it at a junction  
Theres a photo of it in top form and another after I`d took all the bits off and the shell was on its way to the scrappys  .
[attachmentid=2142] [attachmentid=2143]
My replacement was registered on 14th Feb 1989 by Ford and had the 225 twin turbo conversion done on 23rd February 89 by Turbo Technics themselves.

[attachmentid=2136] [attachmentid=2141]
It was owned by Ford or rather Bristol Street Motors in Birmingham for about a year and used as a demonstrator for their performance conversion department which I think was called `Powerhouse`, although I cant seem to find much info out about them, I`ve rung Bristol Street but like Turbo technics all their records are filed away somewhere - there are a few firms called powerhouse but I think these were the first with that name - I`d be intersted in any information anybodys got, just out of interest

[attachmentid=2133]

I bought it off a bloke in London, the 3rd owner (plus Ford) who`d only had it a few months - it had been in storage for years when he got it, spent enough on it to get an mot and tax for a year then I think he was put off by the amount of stuff that wanted sorting - I got most of it done now though...

I took it down to Turbo Technics to let them sort out a few problems - it was breathing like a steam train - if I remember right the non return valve was fitted wrong way round and the mio filter had fell apart  - something I found out was apparently the original TT Bottger wheels that are on the car ( theyre off at the moment waiting for a tidy up - put some standard xr4x4 alloys on) are supposed to have different wheel nuts than the normal ford alloy nuts - they had  set lying around and charged me £2 each - not bad eh?
[attachmentid=2140] [attachmentid=2135] [attachmentid=2137]                                        

Cant make my mind up though whether to put the original lights back on or not, if I did it`d be virtually all original then...

[attachmentid=2132] [attachmentid=2134]

Going back to uploading photos, I`ve had to resize all mine from 3mb down to about 200kb (800x600). Why are some photos thumbnails and some full size - anyone know?

I`ve added a scan of the TT spec sheet that came with the car - its a 225 version by the way.

[attachmentid=2138][attachmentid=2139]

hello mate yeah it was called powerhouse i used to work there  

Offline tt225

• Advanced Member
My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
Mornin Jaffa - when were you there?

jaffa

My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:10:23 AM »
Quote from: tt225
Mornin Jaffa - when were you there?

a long time ago mate  
but i do remember the powerhouse opening and seeing a few nice cars go through there  

Offline tiff

My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »
that is absolutely stunning!

Original lights are very different for pre-facelift Sierra's, but I think the look it has now is spot-on...
credit to you and previous owners

Offline tt225

• Advanced Member
My XR4x4 Twin Turbo
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
Thanks for the compliments tiff, but if youd seen the car when I got it you probably wouldnt be so happy with the previous owners or at least the one I bought it off - heres the faults:

breather system all to pot;
had been lowered by about 50mm and ith the outset of the TT wheels, the front arches had took strips out of the tyres  ;
the front seats were from an old basic Sierra;
rear wiper didnt work;
original radio/amp cracked;
front electric windows didnt work;
paintwork on bonnet, a rear door, a front door and a front wing `crazed`;
steering rack leaking;
tailgate spoiler all `bubbly`;
discs warped;
heater didnt work;
various bits of trim missing or got holes in.

I wouldnt have touched it apart from the fact that i`d got all the bits i needed from my old white one and all in great condition, plus it was a good price and already had 2 new turbos from TT in the last few thousand miles, plus engine work and a new clutch. The bodywork cost me £400 to sort out, then it was just a case of dismantling the old one and swapping the bits over...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk