We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: 15" rs2000 rims 5 spoke - how to - refurb  (Read 1685 times)

Offline theboydevon

• Advanced Member
    • http://www.theboydevon.net
15" rs2000 rims 5 spoke - how to - refurb
« on: September 06, 2008, 20:05:51 PM »
Hi guys,

Just purchased myself a good, clean, set of rs2000 15 inch 5 spoke rims, to go on my mk 4 fiesta.

If I was to attempt to refurb / spray / paint them (white), what kind of paint would I need, is there a special kind of paint which has to be used for alloys as opposed to body panels? and I assume there would be a laquer needed to protect the paint once they have been painted.

I think I'm more likely to take them to a garge/body shop to have them done, but was curious if its possible for me to do them.

Any info much appreciated,

James
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 20:07:32 PM by theboydevon »

samol

15" rs2000 rims 5 spoke - how to - refurb
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 23:08:08 PM »
Hi mate, yes can be done yourself, but would recommend having them stripped and powder coated, to the colour of your choise. I had a set of 4 X 4 wheels done and they looked really good. If you do want to do them yourself, then preperation is the major thing, tyres off, any bare alloy must be coated with self etch primer, fill any dinks and chips, rub down to a nice flat finish 1200 grade wet and dry. Spray to you colour choise, making sure that you go over the edge of the rims, just into the tyre well. Rub down again with 1200 grit wet and dry, clean them well, then spray with laquer, again making sure that you go over the rim and into the tyre well. Reason for doing that is to stop any leaks on the rim, as alloy wheels will leak there if the laquer doesn't make a nice sealing surface. Hope that helps, Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk