We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Heat insulation  (Read 2407 times)

Offline TimoXr4i

Heat insulation
« on: July 30, 2012, 18:20:34 PM »
Im wondering for my xr4i turbo technics project, how to insulate the loose wires and such. Ive see a metallic sleeve like, braided thing to insulate the sparkplug leads, but how about my brakelines, master cilinder, firewall, and last, but very not least, my steering collumn? The coil is easy, i can relocate that easy, but i dont want my car to break down becouse of melted wires and boiling brake fluid, and ive already had the startingissue with a warm engine, my startermotor wouldnt turn. Ive seen a sleeve for my starter at burtons, but how are they, cant i just make a alloy heat shield, and polish it good?

Cheers mates!

Offline cossiemk2

• Administrator
    • http://www.cossiemk2.tk
Re: Heat insulation
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 19:11:27 PM »
I had the same problem with my wiring melting. :(

I wrapped the exhaust manifolds and downpipes in a double layer of heat wrap.

That reduced the temps by 50% if not more.

I would start with that, also get a blanket over your turbo housing.

The alloy tubing that's commonly used to cover A/C pipes is also very good at protecting wiring/tubing.

You can probably get that at a good auto parts shop.

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 20:53:48 PM »
Heat shields also work well for the brake booster/cylinder and the brake lines.

A 2.9 also uses heat shields on the manifoilds, you could copy that for the 2.8.

On the capri v8, i use a heat shield for the starter, i made that with the first headers set. Now i use ceramic coated headers, really good stuff to get the temp's down.

For my 427 turbo build, i will use ceramic coating inside and outside on the exhaust parts. its a bid more expensive, but well wurth the cost, as it also protecs against rust. 
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline TimoXr4i

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 22:54:44 PM »
Jurgen, what alloy tubing do you mean? Im partly aircon mech, but i only use a damp proof rubber like insulation.

I used to have a few heatshields on my 4i, but i ditched them, they where in very good nick, but wernt very easy while working on my car, had oneo. The box, and i thinktwo more, but,theyre gone!

Jurgen, the wrap, is it just the glaswol variant? Dont know the name in british, but you'll know what i mean! You got it fixed with stainless "slangeklemmen"? Got them on a roll from wurth, i also work on restaurant kitchen fans, and also do the big tubing once n a while, so, could use it?

And what blanket do you think is good for the turbine housing? Will save a lot of heat i assume?

Paul, would it help anything if i get a sheet of alumnium, a few nuts, bolts and bushes and get a dual layer shield, or is it just noth worth the trouble and just get a single sheey of aluminium and pad it with a insulaying mat? I have no idea of the heat coming of a turbo, but i know the heat will burn batteries and such, andi really, really dont want to boil my brakes, wiring or even the fuel, couse the fuel lines also appear in the engine room abouth where the tubo sits...

Timo

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:31:53 AM »
A single alu sheet would do.

The problem with insulating material like heat wrap is that they draw mosture when it cools down and cause rust. Headers and exhaust parts go true a heat cycle, so it rust goes even faster. The first header i had on the capri v8, with the wrap, rusted away in 1.5 year. Thats why i dont advice to use heat wrap on headers or exhaust parts.

Thats why i use ceramic coating on headers. Its more expensive, but it last much longer and protects against rust and less heat.

greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline TimoXr4i

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
Paul, who does the ceramic coating? Im not totally sure, but a friend can make hi grade stainless (316 or better) crosspipe and downpipe for me, witchi should be able to wrap?  Wont wrap the cast headers, the turboside one is a really odd shape, and one of the sparkplugs is wlso there, so, i think i cant even wrap it!

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 19:56:05 PM »
Speedline in Best does it.
http://www.speedlinecoatings.com/CERAMIC_COATINGS.html

Prices are reasonable, considering the cost of heat wrap and the how long they stay rust free, Mine are already 16 years old, still no trace of rust.

A high grade stainless would also be a good option because rvs also keeps some of the heat in the pipe.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk