Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Purpose of the header tank?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline dr knockers

Purpose of the header tank?
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
Im aiming for a clean looking engine bay in my mk5 cortina, looking to remove the header tank and either loosing it completely or hiding it in the wing somewhere?

Do i really need it, from what i understand its just a container for when the rad pressure builds up to much?

Many thanks in advance

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
Re: Purpose of the header tank?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 13:42:14 PM »
It's not a pressure tank is it, only a loose fitting cap? The rad has a pressure cap and that tank is only for catching any over pressurised water that escapes, and there is no pipe to return it to the system? Think its before header tanks where common.

Ade

Run in ......

Offline JFB Tech

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 17:07:09 PM »
On this type of header tank or more correctly "expansion tank", the pressure cap is on the radiator.  As the coolant in the system expands on heating, it blows past the cap and into the tank.  The tube in the top of the tank goes to the bottom.  Once the coolant cools and contracts in the cooling system, it sucks coolant past the pressure cap and refills the system.  The header tank does not necessarily need to be in the engine compartment but it does need to be there.
Drive it like you mean it!
IPB Image

Offline dr knockers

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 17:17:11 PM »
excellent, all i need to know!! Many thanks  :laugh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk