We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Smiley front transit fuel problem ?  (Read 17287 times)

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
Smiley front transit fuel problem ?
« on: July 28, 2011, 16:45:28 PM »
Ok guys it's my work van and not wanted to start the last 2 days now  :rolleyes: it's a non turbo 190 banana engine,  put your foot right to the floor and it will start. But running real rough and the revs then build up, it's like the fuel has run back and needs to get back up again. Any ideas where to start looking?

Cheers Ade

Run in ......

Offline ttxr4x4

• Advanced Member
Re: Smiley front transit fuel problem ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 17:19:12 PM »
egr valve,my money is on it being gummed up.

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 19:32:39 PM »
is it a diesel or fuel?

greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 20:06:28 PM »
Hi Paul sorry I should have said its a diesel.

TT cheers, I will give it a clean in the morning, does that make it sound and feel like you have just put a new fuel filter on it and your cranking it to get the fuel up?

Cheers Ade

Run in ......

Offline ttxr4x4

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 22:10:23 PM »
yeah they tend to make it sound like that and they dont idle worth a damn,also down on power and stall at junctions.if i remember right i can be awkward to fit the fuel filters on properly,check it hasnt been put on wrong,i think they are held on by a clamp rather than being screw on iirc.it could also be the injector pump or if driving hard round corners ive seen air getting into the injector pipes and not clearing,cracking them open to bleed them while its running one at a time could help.failing that check the timing,the pump pullys are adjustable and may have been set up wrong when the last belt was fitted.

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »
check the glow plugs, diesel filter and timing. if still doing it, check the presure off the fuel system and the engine isn't sucking up oil from the engine it self (breather system).
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:31:57 AM »
Cheers for the replies,

Noticed after 4 hours it started fine and 10 hours it was harder and yesterday 24 hours was even worse  :- there is no glow plugs it is DI and the timing belt was done just over a year ago, I ordered a new fuel filter so I will get that on today. Maybe the pump, but the L.E.Z. is death to my van after Christmas so if it is worn can you up the pressure a bit to compensate? It has 135000 miles on it now. Could it be just a tiny air leak on the supply hose tank to filter? I'm thinking the time thing  :unsure: and because it drives and runs ok the rest of the time, it wouldn't show up as the pipe is under vacuum as the pump is drawing fuel up from the tank? See what shows up but with at least 12 hours between starts it may take a while......

Cheers Ade

Run in ......

Offline cossiemk2

• Administrator
    • http://www.cossiemk2.tk
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
Could be the return lines from the injectors have a small crack.

After standing overnight it sucks the air into the fuelpump, so it can be a bitch to start up.

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 21:06:41 PM »
Cheers Cossie mk2

It was the wrong filter  :(  but had a rummage down by the lift pump and it was really oily but smelt a bit of fuel  :rolleyes: so I gave it a clean an I will have another look in the morning. Wot a result if it is just a hose, fingers crossed.

Cheers Ade

Run in ......

Offline cossiemk2

• Administrator
    • http://www.cossiemk2.tk
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 22:15:54 PM »
If it smells of fuel you have a leak somewhere.

Offline Leebay

• LDSEngineering.co.uk
  • Donation Sponsor
    • LDS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
Does sounds as if there is a air leak somewhere.

Will it run ok on easy start or white grease once left over night?

I`ve got a 2.5di lump in my recovery truck. EGR is blocked off and Bosch pump is cranked right up. Got over 165k on it now and touch wood never had any problems it always been a reliable engine.

Always fill the inline filter up with diesel before you put them on saves having to pump the diesel though. As mentioned the filter needs to on right to seal properly. You could try the leak off mod swapping the small bleed off pipes around the other way incase there is a blockage in the lines (search on the transit forum for info).

LDS Engineering.co.uk

Cylinder head Repairs/skimming, Engine|Brake|Suspension|Service components, Number/show plates & Custom stickers.

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 16:23:09 PM »
Cheers Leebay, I had a look on the forum that is dead handy  ;) as the newer transits are nowhere near as reliable  :'( so I'm sure that will be needed in the future. It will actually start with just a foot flat on the floor  :unsure: but it happened all of a sudden and really seems to be harder the longer it was left.  I wiggled the two push on plastic lift pump connectors when I cleaned it yesterday and today it started up fine after 16 hours ;D so I'm hoping (fingers crossed ) this may be it sorted. I'm intrigued with the pump mod cos it is really gutless and the egr blanks are sold by a guy on that forum  :P .

Cheers Ade

Run in ......

Offline Leebay

• LDSEngineering.co.uk
  • Donation Sponsor
    • LDS Engineering
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 17:58:20 PM »
Just cut a plate to block off the EGR valve. My pump is currently on 2 turns goes like a train on the flat alot faster than my mates mk3 transit recovery which has the early non adjustable pump, but the torque sleeve inside my pump is buggered and it doesnt like hills. I`ve got a new one but like anything atm getting time to fit it.

Definitely do the pump mod and block EGR makes so much difference. I`ve removed the throttle flap but found the induction noise too loud. Havent tried the leak off mod yet.   

LDS Engineering.co.uk

Cylinder head Repairs/skimming, Engine|Brake|Suspension|Service components, Number/show plates & Custom stickers.

Offline turboshed

• Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 23:55:54 PM »
  defo sounds like air is getting in,I would look at buying one of the last tddi transits,these are compliant for the lez,my last van was a 55 reg 100 t280 and it did 190,000 miles without any issues,my new van is an 11 plate tdci 140 330 and after researching on the new models i'm not so sure this will make it to 100,000 miles but you never know,after 3 days and 700 miles some dickhead tried to test his airbags on it,£2500 worth of damage......tosser
xr4x4 twin dinky turbo, emerald k3 management,302bhp and 400ftlbs@21 psi

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 12:28:04 PM »
Ok guys cheers for all the input ;) after messing with the push on connectors on the lift pump the other day, it appears to have cured it  :mellow: no money, result. Turboshed It was about a 55 I think I can stretch to in a jumbo 350 and maybe a 125 or 135 they seem to have a six speed in most, so hopefully keep the fuel bill down a bit. There is a guy in scotland with one with 60k on it for 4 grand on a 55 plate, sounds cheap, compared to down here? One on the M4 van centre website same but 06 is 8k plus vat, WTF, I have got some thinking to do  :- it's only £69 to fly up but prob twice that in derv to get back  :'( or is it to good to be true????

Cheers Ade

Run in ......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk