Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Acid/alkaline dipping  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Acid/alkaline dipping
« on: February 21, 2011, 21:57:53 PM »
Does anyone know of any companies that can dip and coat a full body shell?  Came across SPL in Dudley but have heard they're quite pricey. Any views  on the process?

Mik.

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
dipping sheetmetal into acid is done more and more. the big problem with acid is, it goes every where and comes in every corner off the body. you (or the company that does the job) really need to clean it very good after dipping, specialy the seems and parts that you cant reach. a good company will dip it into a etch primer afterwards. because off the more work time, it will be more pricey.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline ibrooks

• Advanced Member
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 18:11:12 PM »
I've heard good reports of Ribble Technology in Preston - probablycloser to you than Hull as well. I know people that have had shells dipped as well as smaller components.

Iain

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 21:11:33 PM »
Just looked up the Ribble Technology site, looks like a decent company. Anyone who sells their products with cartoons is top with me. Gonna ring them tomorrow for a rough price. Wont be getting it done till the whole car is built in mockup. Dont want the bastard rusting again.

Mik.

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 00:29:26 AM »
Rang both companies today. Ribble couldn't give me a price as the pricing guy  was washing his hair or some shite. Will try again tomorrow.  Receptionist sounded very nice though. Called SPL and got a nice quick breakdown of process and then a price.

Dip and clean.........£875.00 + vat
Phosphate coating..........£1700(ish) + vat. They didn't do the coating in house and farmed it out but they've stopped trading (or stopped trading with SPL). Currently looking for new options for process. Either start in house or find a new company.

Hopefully Ribble will be a bit cheaper.

Mik.

Offline ibrooks

• Advanced Member
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 17:24:19 PM »
I've not heard any specifics from the people I know that have taken cars there but I can't imagine them shelling out that sort of money.

Iain

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 19:17:22 PM »
Quote from: Mik
Dip and clean.........£875.00 + vat
Phosphate coating..........£1700(ish) + vat. They didn't do the coating in house and farmed it out but they've stopped trading (or stopped trading with SPL). Currently looking for new options for process. Either start in house or find a new company.

Mik.

i hope the £1700 is dipping and coating together. then the price would be fair. if not, search for a other company.

i did strip the paint off a few cars, with paint stripper. it goes well and no dust, but takes alote off time.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 23:48:59 PM »
Ribble Technologies got back to me, big differance in price.

Oven bake to remove majority of paint and sealer, jet wash to remove debris, plastic media blast or acid dip or both followed with another jet wash with phosphate. All in for £850.

They are very flexable with levels of work to be carried out. Will only do whats needed to help keep costs down.

If you're thinking of having it done its well worth a chat. By far, a more approachable company.

Mik.

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
for £850 you almost cant do it you self anymore, if i only look at the time thats needed to do it your self. and no mess and dust at home.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Acid/alkaline dipping
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 17:26:38 PM »
They've not updated the site for a bit. John, the guy I was talking too said he cant believe how many people have taken the cartoon seriously and enquired whether they really set the car on fire to burn everthing off and if they use magnets to move the shells about.

Should be getting some pics soon on before and after shots of cars they've done.

Mik.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk