We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Engine swaps  (Read 2184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Engine swaps
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »
Hi everyone ,just looking for a bit of info, I have a capri which was a 2.0 and is now a 3.0, Im looking to send my log book off to the dvla to get the new engine capacity updated, I have heard of instances where the dvla have asked to inspect the car ,is this common and why do they do it? Also I have read a bit of info on the dvla website about radically modified cars stating that your car retains points for keeping certain original componants such as 1 point for engine 1 point for gearbox etc.and you need so many points to keep original reg/identity, Now I have upgraded most of my car as in the engine gearbox suspension brakes and although they are in the main just V6 capri parts ,technically they arent original does this mean my car is radically modified? This brings me to insurance, if I get my log book changed to 3.0 engine capacity does this mean I could just insure my car as 3.0 capri, or am I supposed to insure it as a modified 2.0. Im confused with the whole thing so your thoughts would be appreciated.


Offline mk2 cossie

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • http://
Engine swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
when you send of the logbook with the new engine number and CC, just make sure you have some headed paper from a local garage/ main dealer to confirm thats what is fitted. mate sent off his logbook and had it revoked because of the engine change. sent off the headed paper and voila, logbook updated and returned  

im guessing everything converted on your capri is from a capri anyway, so nothing to worry about in that case

Offline JFB Tech

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 290
  • Karma: +0/-0
Engine swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 23:50:28 PM »
When I changed my engine, I looked on the DVLA website and it said that I needed to send a receipt for the work or the replacement engine.  I wrote myself a receipt from a friend's garage showing that I had bought the 2.9 engine (actually taken from a car I scrapped years ago) and put the serial number on it.  They sent me the replacement V5 no problem.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 23:51:00 PM by JFB Tech »
Drive it like you mean it!
IPB Image


SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk