We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: odd wheels - any ideas?  (Read 2596 times)

Janspeedcapri

odd wheels - any ideas?
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »
I got a set of comp CX wheels of the bay a few days ago - while nitromorsing I noticed one wheel has 11cm backspace wheras the other three have 12cm.
The castings are all the same with the same code on the hub but this odd one has had less machined off the back when made - obviously not a set but they are identical other than that.
Do I  run the other 3 with 10mm spacers or get the odd wheel machined to match the rest - whats best and whats feasable, I mean who could do that kind of machining short of compomotive themselves? anyone here??? Thanks

Offline mk2 cossie

• http://
odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 13:42:29 PM »
will you really notice the 1mm difference on the car?  

id suggest asking a machine shop with a big enough lathe to spin the wheel in to take the extra millimetre off tho

Pin_cushion

odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 15:45:32 PM »
Quote from: mk2 cossie
will you really notice the 1mm difference on the car?  

id suggest asking a machine shop with a big enough lathe to spin the wheel in to take the extra millimetre off tho

10mm = 1cm

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 15:46:06 PM by Pin_cushion »

Offline gazfromoldham

• Advanced Member
    • http://www.edmondsonlifting.co.uk
odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 16:21:56 PM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
I got a set of comp CX wheels of the bay a few days ago - while nitromorsing I noticed one wheel has 11cm backspace wheras the other three have 12cm.
The castings are all the same with the same code on the hub but this odd one has had less machined off the back when made - obviously not a set but they are identical other than that.
Do I  run the other 3 with 10mm spacers or get the odd wheel machined to match the rest - whats best and whats feasable, I mean who could do that kind of machining short of compomotive themselves? anyone here??? Thanks

i dont like having wheel spacers personally as it leaves more room open for error and accidents to happen.
if you ever get up to the manchester area my girlfriend has a full machine shop, with cnc millers, cnc lathes, capstans, centre lathe. i reckon the biggest diameter i could get on our  centre lathes would be 17 inch.
i would check the overall size with a caliper as it may be a casting error, or perhaps the set were  of 5 with 2 oversize rims on the back and 2 standard and a standard for a spare?

gary

Offline mk2 cossie

• http://
odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 17:23:35 PM »
doh  

i read it as mm not cm, my bad

zykotec

odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 23:19:22 PM »
You could put two of the different offset wheels on the rear of almost any car with a live axle, (especially if it's lowered and has a panhard rod ) and no-one'll spot the difference  just have to work out which side protrudes teh most first...

Janspeedcapri

odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 00:39:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Gary - I think the odd wheel was added to the set to replace a damaged one and this is as close to a match as they found.... it has no step machined into the centrecap hole so would have had different centrecap (i got none). this I reckon could be easily be machined into the odd wheel to make it match the rest and a set of 4 new, matching caps can be fitted - wish we were closer but I'll ask around localy but might need you girlfriends services if I get stuck ...don't take that the wrong way  
I asked a bloke a compomotive if the odd wheel could be machined to have the same backspace but he said no. He said there are steel inserts in the boltholes that are positioned 2mm or so below the surface of the mounting face so different for every offset... if you machine the mounting face back more than 2mm hit the inserts. I want to have another look at it all in the morning - tbc

Offline cossyabuser

• Advanced Member
odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 13:10:16 PM »
You can get it\them machined to match as long as the dimensions of the front face are the same, otherwise it will still look odd................ If i have got the jist of what you are saying

This Sapphire did 0 - 60 in 3.89 seconds, its even faster now
4 Self Built\Modified Cosworths Featured in Fast Ford Magazine

Now playing with a XR4x4 BOA, fun fun fun!

Janspeedcapri

odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 17:17:04 PM »
Quote from: cossyabuser
You can get it\them machined to match as long as the dimensions of the front face are the same, otherwise it will still look odd................ If i have got the jist of what you are saying

no you can't because the the bolt holes are countersunk deeper into the front of the hub on the lower offset wheel. I am trying to get a refund.

Janspeedcapri

odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 00:18:28 AM »
Well I didn't get a refund - I started a dispute and the bloke rings up and threatens to come over and smash my head in. Ive got a wife a 4 young children so Ive dropped it. I was going to buy something the other day and I didn't because of this happening - i think my ebaying days are over.

I managed to curb the volvo in the snow so one of the tyres has already been put to good use, leaving me 3 more good tyres for it which should keep the volvo shod till I get rid of it end of the year.
The  comp rims are now nitromores clean and look realy good so Ive thought of another way to solve the offset difference AND adjust to what I realy want for these wheels.
I'm going to get some plates cut out of aly and weld them onto the bolting faces. Basicly permanent weld on spacers that will keep the wheels hubcentric. I plan on getting the plates cut to match the bolting face exactly and attach them with plug welds so it should be an invisible mod when done. The plates will be 7mm and 15mm thick to make these ET 0  which will be perfect for 195 50 15 tyres. In that size good tyres are like £30 so I'll be running these wheels most of the time and putting the image splitrims on for special occasions - which will help cos the rear tyres for them are £180 odd quid each

cossyabuser - they do look the same from the front tho - they just have different machining at the back
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 00:21:00 AM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline Leebay

• LDSEngineering.co.uk
  • Donation Sponsor
    • LDS Engineering
odd wheels - any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 16:15:16 PM »

"Well I didn't get a refund - I started a dispute and the bloke rings up and threatens to come over and smash my head in. Ive got a wife a 4 young children so Ive dropped it."

Bloody hell just what you need  

LDS Engineering.co.uk

Cylinder head Repairs/skimming, Engine|Brake|Suspension|Service components, Number/show plates & Custom stickers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk