• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

November 18, 2019, 00:53:27 AM

We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

twin turb 4b.

Started by mouldytbags, April 22, 2009, 12:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlegems4x4

April 22, 2009, 14:09:28 PM #1 Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 18:32:52 PM by littlegems4x4
They are the TT 9 spokes yes   Not just on the Minkers though they fitted them to a lot of their cars  

Shame it's not an XR4x4 as well................

Dave

April 23, 2009, 00:56:12 AM #2 Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:39:45 AM by Dave
As above.

The 9 spokes where the normal TT alloy but a 7 spoke was also fitted if you wanted them.

Minker alloys where the same but got a fancy paint & polish job & that is only if you wanted it done.

As for that car I may well bid on that myself.
Would be very interesting to see the reg plate.

Asked for some pictures.

But I am 99% certain I know that car  

Should be a GLS 4x4 with ABS.
Dave

littlegems4x4

Ryz has bought it to add to his growing list of TT sierras

turboshed

your quick mate only just got back from the deal!
xr4x4 twin dinky turbo, emerald k3 management,302bhp and 400ftlbs@21 psi

turboshed

well bugger me thought i knew the reg number it was tt's press glsi,i think riz is happy as managed 70 in second so should have 3.14 diffs  
its a bit of a nail very rusty sills etc,does'nt drive to well pinks like a bugger

littlegems4x4

Why can't things like this come up for sale up here, sounds like he got a good buy there

Dave

April 23, 2009, 23:19:33 PM #7 Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 23:23:03 PM by Dave
Bloody Riz  

I knew exactly what that was when I looked on ebay.

I was gonna go for a last minute bid.

Come on then what did he get it for?

Plate should be G270 NEW

The old 4x4 GLS TT280 press car.

& no it didn't have the diffs as far as I know    

But it does have all the brake & suspension mods etc or it should.
Dave

xr4x4ever

Quote from: DaveBloody Riz  

I knew exactly what that was when I looked on ebay.

I was gonna go for a last minute bid.

Come on then what did he get it for?

Plate should be G270 NEW

The old 4x4 GLS TT280 press car.

& no it didn't have the diffs as far as I know    

But it does have all the brake & suspension mods etc or it should.

Well from its performance in 2nd gear, its unlikely that the speedo is THAT far out... So we're 80% sure its got the diffs... Hopefully when I get my hands on it I'll find out. I'm worryingly tempted to keep this car in one piece too... We'll see how it goes!

Dave

Well I have looked again & I have one bit of info that says it did not have them, then it states later the car has a 150mph limiter on it which it would only need if it had 3.14 diffs.?????

So I guess the only way is look at the front diff where the prop is.
It should have 3.14 stamped there if it has them.

Speedo thing all depends on tyre size, could be way out
Dave

xr4x4ever

I'll try and do a count-the-rotation test tomorrow, it did feel substantially faster than 55mph, gray will confirm that. However we jacked it up and it doesn't say 3.14, instead another longer number. But from memory, gray's didn't have 3.14 stamped on them either... The 150mph limiter does make sense too, so fingers crossed! :D

Dave

April 24, 2009, 01:04:08 AM #11 Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:20:33 AM by Dave
That makes a bit of sense.

TT diffs had 3.14 stamped on them.

The ones Alan did, did not.

What size tyres it have?
Take it up to 70 in 4th what's it revs?

Maybe it had them fitted later, maybe not guess you will soon see.

Great find that well done.
A proper TT280 with loads of history & Turbo Technics as the first owner to boot.

Just found a old test of your new car in Fast Ford 1990 in my TT files.
Will upload it for you but off to bed right now.
Dave

turboshed

well I will check it later for the diffs,tried to get the rear diff tag off to see the ford number but it was badly corruded and no numbers visible on it
  even it has'nt got the diffs it was a great buy as it has tt front arb set up brand new avo adjustables,and some other goodies,not 100% on the engine but it started and runs, but on boost its not great think the timing is out or something stupid,goes well once it stopped it backfiring fit,the car requires alot of welding and there is some minor scrapes on the roof but overall it was quite clean as the guy had it valeted.
I met ryz there as it was only 10mins from my house,pulled into the place and the guy selling it i knew anyway,dont know why he did'nt bring it round mine first as he knows i have tt sierra,and has brought a few sierra's round before he was trying to sell.
I kept my mouth shut i knew i has seen this car somewhere before and was defo a 280kit,told him it was 225 kit,then i saw the previous owner was tt,the next owner was an ex employee of tt,ryz and i got back to mine and low and behold it was the demo glsi,i was'nt 100% but the second part of the number plate was bugging me.
 Ryz has got a right bargain thats for sure,if i had the cash i would of bought it! I think ryz now has more turbo's than tt and more sierra's than the sierra's owners club!

xr4x4ever

Cool! Be nice to see that dave, cheers  

Dave

April 24, 2009, 11:36:07 AM #14 Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:36:55 AM by Dave
O.K maybe the old TT employee fitted them.

If the diffs where built following TT's (Geoffs) build spec sheet then they should have 3.14 stamped on them to identify them.

[url]http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/DavidHoward/Forum/?action=view&current=FF10-90001.jpg[/img] [url]http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/DavidHoward/Forum/?action=view&current=FF10-90002.jpg[/img] [url]http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/DavidHoward/Forum/?action=view&current=FF10-90003.jpg[/img] [url]http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/DavidHoward/Forum/?action=view&current=FF10-90004.jpg[/img]

To sum up if you paid less than a grand (sure you did) then it's a bargain.

You couldn't build a engine like that for even double that.

& yeah the rough running is probably timing. (Not done in service mode causes them to pop,bang & det).
Dave

xr4x4ever

Yeah I know what it costs to build em... I've nearly finished it! Wishing a little this came along a few months back but hey-ho!

Thanks very much for getting the article up, thats made my day that has! Cracking article.

The car has changed a bit since then, its had recaros, new suspension struts and springs on the back and its been lowered on the front, and its hand an alarm fitted, so with any luck the diffs too. But I see what you mean about the 150mph bit... We'll see in a few hours!

Kezza

Good read that article and wot a bargain  

turboshed

got the car back,fixed the no reverse gear issue which was the lift up collar seized,poke around the engine bay and found the map sensor pipe was shot had splits in several places,this will explain the poor on boost driving! just hope it has'nt damaged anything running lean.
  pretty sure it has 3.14 diffs as we jacked up the front wheels and rotated them 1 turn and got just over 3 turns of the front prop,this is difficult to do as unless you turn both fronts at exactly the right time the planet gears will turn and give you a false reading,still not 100% convinced,need to take the lower front diff plate off and have a butchers.
thinking maybe tt put the diffs and kept quiet and let testers be amazed by the in gear accelleration.

Dave

There is more reviews of that car some where, they loved all the high spec TT Sierra's  

Oh Yeah a leaking map sensor pipe will cause big problems  

Yeah you could remove the cover off the front diff & look for the markings.

But 4th gear with 3.14's is like 5th on a STD car but I guess you can't really take it for a spin  

Ryz

Oh yeah & don't forget when you have finished sorting through all your TT parts I would like first offer on a couple of complete turbo's.

They can be completely knackered as I want to build some hybrids as spares so only need compressor & turbine housings.

& can you stop buying up all the spares please  
I was gonna bid on that car to      

Dave

xr4x4ever

May 02, 2009, 12:32:57 PM #19 Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:34:21 PM by xr4x4ever
3.14 Diffs confirmed! 100%. I'll be looking to get another magazine piece done on this too :D Also if anyone have a October '90 Fast Ford mag for sale, I'd love a copy!  

turboshed

well here's a few photos needs a tidy up but should'nt take ryz long

front diff

brakes

tt homebrew adjustable fuel reg,just a standard reg modified

correct turbo's for a 280

the knackered bit of map sensor line,the dcu would'nt know what the hell was going on with holes like this in it

tt front modified grill

Dave

3.14 diffs indeedy you Jammy Git  

Dam good buy that, I am jealous  

The first section of exhaust's is Minker spec to.
Dave

sierra3dr

Quotestored in a garage for two years i put a battry on the car and it fired strait up no knocks or bangs

that makes me cringe when that's done,surely he must have let it crank over for a while,before firing it up