We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Where are pistons marked...  (Read 2275 times)

Janspeedcapri

Where are pistons marked...
« on: March 31, 2009, 18:01:12 PM »
not ready to take heads off (no room in garage till later this week) but trying to workout if i have oversize or standard 93mm pistons in my 2.8. looking at them from underneath I just see part numbers on the reverse of the crown, the ford oval and MAHLE marking on the inside of the skirt. I'm guessing these are the engines original pistons? Does this mean they would be standard size? Thanks

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 19:12:35 PM »
I don't think that 2.8s came with Mahle pistons as standard so it sounds like someone has replaced them, not the best pistons for turbo applications though.

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 19:33:55 PM »
Quote from: littlegems4x4
I don't think that 2.8s came with Mahle pistons as standard so it sounds like someone has replaced them, not the best pistons for turbo applications though.

I saw nothing on the underside of the piston that looked like an oversize, but I'd better wait till i get the heads off to check for marking on the crown before ordering the pistons.
If these replacement mahle pistons are standard size, am i right in thinking that if the engine was sound and had good compression it won't need boring/oversized pistons this time either? (getting scorpio pistons)
Thanks for advise mate
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 19:37:02 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 19:44:55 PM »
the pistons are normaly marked on the top.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 20:57:18 PM »
Quote from: capri v8 driver
the pistons are normaly marked on the top.

Thanks Paul

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 22:08:22 PM »
[attachment=2744:marking2.jpg][/attachment][attachment=2743:marking1.jpg][/attachment]

these are the only marking i can see on the piston top. any one know what they mean? the engine manufacture date is november 86 so maybe this was a date (10 86 that the piston was made? I have read elsewhere that ford did indeed supply new cars with mahle cast pistons so I beleive now that these are the original pistons... they even have the ford oval cast into the underside! - am i wrong?
 btw, i think the digits above the "M" are "801"...   and i should mention that the next piston had a 3 above the arrow, and the next a 2 again?? haven't taken the other head of at the mo but is it to do with where they go?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 22:13:09 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:47:24 AM »
looks stock. but to be sure i would measure them whit a micrometer and measure the bore whit a bore gauge.

the arrow is the direction the piston needs to be mounted.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 13:20:08 PM »
Oh, I always thought that mahle pistons were after market for these engine, I know they used them on the 24v but not 12v. Learn a new thing every day

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 15:14:47 PM »
Well ive just ordered the 2.9 pistons in standard size - thanks

Paul - is 0.02 of an inch easy to measure?! I'll chance it at £16 a piston!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 15:19:22 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
with the right measuring device's, like a micrometer, yes. with your normal caliper, no. unles you have a good digital caliper, thats big enough.

funny, i just ordered my pistons, crank and rods for my v8 project, and now if i open my wallet, there is a black hole inside.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »
Quote from: capri v8 driver
now if i open my wallet, there is a black hole inside.

Yeah, but your living the dream mate, and money is only useful for one thing - SPENDING!

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 07:58:32 AM »
well, i had to buy now. i now still have a job, but the company i work for said that they would fire 1450 people. alote off people got fired last week. they did let me work and said notning to me, yet. but just in case, i buy the expencive parts now. and expencive it was, the custom piston's alone are $1000,-

greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk