Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: rear discs on XR4i  (Read 1457 times)

brad24v

rear discs on XR4i
« on: March 16, 2009, 23:23:21 PM »
i have fitted granada cosworth front and rear brakes to my 4i and i have a lot of travel in the pedal, has anyone done this before and if so did you have the same problem? i have bled the system a few times and its made no difference, anyone have any ideas how to cure this?

raf

rear discs on XR4i
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 21:18:28 PM »
Could be your master cylinder m8, Might need a more stronger one maybe??

Offline Jeroen

• http://
rear discs on XR4i
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 13:21:23 PM »
You need a MC with a bigger bore, that will decrease pedal travel at the cost of more pedal effort for a given braking effect. The extra effort can be offset with a bigger booster.

You could try to locate a MC and booster from a mk2 that came with all discs round but with no ABS. Very rare and might not a direct fit on the mk1 bulkhead.

Another option is to retrofit ABS that certainly needs the bulkhead modified and sensors fitted to the wheel and such, unless you run it without the ABS part. Still some electrics are required for the booster electric pump to operate.

Yet another option is to use a MC from another car that has a bigger bore and try to fit it together with the booster; something like from a Mondeo.

Are you sure your current MC is in good shape? I just recently replaced the rear drums with discs and now my MC is fubar; likely because it was marginal anyway and the extra pedal travel killed it off because it now uses a part of the bore that's normally not used and all the crud in there killed the already marginal seals. I'll fit a brand new one and see if the pedal will have satisfactory firmness and travel.

raf

rear discs on XR4i
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:54 AM »
        I've got somethin right!!!   Must be losin it lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk