Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Higway Insurance beware, it's a con  (Read 2880 times)

Offline littlegems4x4

Higway Insurance beware, it's a con
« on: January 16, 2009, 14:26:22 PM »

As you know my white xr4x4 was hit in Manchester a few weeks before Xmas and Highway decided to write off my car, then all of a sudden when I told them I had an agreed value they back pedalled and said they'd fix it. After this going on for a while and me getting quotes they approved the garage and off my car went to be fixed, the garage then phone me to tell me that they can't get parts so basically it is an insurance write off  
Highway have now told me that they won't pay out on my agreed value as the car is technically fixable, but they can't fix it for me so I'm getting a cheque for the £1080 the garage quoted to fix it (minus my excess which I claim off the other party), which obviously I'm not happy with as I want the value or a fixed car  
Anyway they have just sent through some paperwork showing me where it says this in the policy document, which basically means that their agreed value insurance, which I pay extra for, is a complete nonsense and is totally worthless  
I would suggest that anybody who is insured with Highway (mine was through HIC) on an agreed value quickly jumps ship before the same thing happens top them. Bunch of bloody con men

Owain

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 16:03:40 PM »
Nice one Toby, glad you've brought that up, as thats exactly who im insured with throught HIC, although i reckon my car will be off road when renewals due cos i cant afford to insure it

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 16:12:51 PM »
I just hope they don't get away with doing it to other people, I will be making sure my underwriters are not Highway in the future!
Can I also just point out that HIC are not to blame here and are infact fighting my corner for me, it's Highway (the underwriters) who are p*ssing me about

IansSaph

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 16:19:07 PM »
in another way of looking at it, what parts do they need that are not available...? would it not be better to supply those parts (maybe s/h ) and get a car back on the road not written off,
thats what i'd be doing.... i agree its out of order, but i'm not sure yoyur corse of action will get you what you want.

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 19:15:48 PM »
Absolutely mate, I want the car fixed, however they won't pay more than the list price for the parts. This means that although I can get a mint bumper for say £200 it might be in blue say, then the bodyshop want another £200 to strip it and paint it etc. Highway will only give me £250 for the bumper as they say that is list price plus paint, that leaves me £150 out of pocket.
If the accident was my fault or I'd driven into a wall or something then fair enough, but someone undertook me and pulled into my lane without looking and hit my car. Seems a bit unfair when I had a concours winning car before and now I have a bent car and not enough money from my insurance to cover fixing it  

End of the day I'm sure I'll end up taking the offer and sorting it myself, I'm just a bit pee'd off when I pay for fully comp and an agreed value..............

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 19:58:18 PM »
dont you have a good lawer to check this story? if your not at fault, they have to replace the car whit a similair car or pay the repair cost to bring it back in the shape it. at least here they must do that.

greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 20:02:50 PM »
That's what I'd always thought as well mate but there is a sneakily written bit of small print in the policy document that covers it. I'm going to get in touch with the people who oversee english insurance law and see what they say.

tonto

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 21:23:35 PM »
Phone the ombudsmen will be sorted. [0845 801800]  good luck and dont let the f***ers get away with it

Offline Tony

• Donation Sponsor
    • http://www.maddoldbugger.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 21:57:07 PM »
wait a mo!

the first rule on a crash,,
keep the car at home, do not let any one take it unless
a/ there is an agreed repare  
or
b/ the pay out has been agreed.
remember the car is your property untill you agree on price and recieve it in the event of write off!

if they take the car  
a/ you have lost your leveage on agreeing the price, youl have to accept a lower offer.
b/if you wish the car to be returned youl find it miles away and youl have storage costs (and these aint cheap)

apart from that golden rule (with any insurance co)

Does Highway agree to leave the car with you AND pay that money?
if so i cant see any way else they can move! yes they might well have forseen this in there agreement and had to word it such to protect them serves!
 but i personaly think paying you the repare costs and leaving the car is fair in this situation!
the car is fix able, they have offered the money to pay for it (in two ways, the garage repare and now in form of cheque)

mate, the problem here is with the garage that quoted to do the job then once agreed with highway find they cannot do it,

the 24v xr4i auto-0 to 60 in 6.71 secs

Offline Retrac

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 23:56:23 PM »
Should really be highwayman..robbin swines

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 01:03:17 AM »
Tony, you are right I'm just not sure I can get the car back to how it was before for the money they are offering.
As for the car, it's stashed away somewhere

amigafan2003

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 21:36:49 PM »
Doesn't matter what the small print says, they may still not be allowed to do it - contact the Insurance Ombudsman.

For example, I can put "if you poke your tongue out at me I am within my rights to shoot you" - see what I mean?  Just because it's written down and you've signed it doesn't necessarily mean they are allowed to do it.

Offline KIB

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 21:55:01 PM »
You might have different legislation in England than we have in Norway, but:

First: How can they say that 250 are list price if the part is unavailable, 250 WAS the list prise when it was available?? And normally the insurance companies demand the use of second hand parts on older cars.
Can‚‚žÂt see how they can deny fixing the car if you supply them with nice second-hand parts... Shouldn‚‚žÂt be your problem if the used part needs some extra labour to fit.

Second: The guy who hit you, was he insured at Highway too? Wouldn‚‚žÂt your insurance company normally pay for the repair or give you the money and then claim the other guy‚‚žÂs insurance company and get their money back?? So why deny you the money when they got their back covered??

Third: Don‚‚žÂt you have some kind of consumers' council you can contact? (Ombudsman?) sounds like you have a good case
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 21:59:02 PM by KIB »
Regards                                         
Knut form Norway

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
1) I think HIC use Highway almost exclusivly..

2) Were you unable to catch/prove the other party was at fault?

3) It's technicaly fixable, it just going to cost more than they think. Imagin if A Bristol owner offed his Baufighter... Where are they going to get new parts of the shelf, Bristol will hapily rebuild it but it will cost more than an £80 front wing.

TT

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 15:47:57 PM »
There is little doubt the other driver was at fault, undertaking then forcing your way into a lane where there is no space, seems pretty cut and dried to me (I wasn't driving at the time) and the witness's agree!
I am wondering if Highway also insure the other driver as KIB says, it would then begin to make sense why they are trying so hard to riddle out of it. I'm going down the ombudsman route next, I first have to await a reply from Highways compliance department, this is the way things are done apparently  
This is the sneaky bit of the policy, the bit where I have put stars next to it is the killer;

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 20:32:36 PM »
I think you have a fair point to argue that the chances of parts being available for the majority of cars that will be on Agreed Value is going to be a problem.

That makes the policy wortless to a large number of policy holders.

The restrictions of the third partys policy apply to them, not you. The third party should pay out what is needed to fix the car. Or tell them you will be seeking a claim for uninsured losses from the policy holder.

TT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk