Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Ive had enough  (Read 5997 times)

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
Thius morning i found the paint I sprayed on the inner wings (wheel side) has reacted with the zinc primer  ...so its back to stripping it all back to metal again. I would honestly rather pay someone who knows what they are doing take it from here.  - I'm sick to bleedin death with the site of it all and could be earning money elsewhere instead of wasting my time here doing something ive no enthusiasm or talent for. I was o.k doing the donkey work of ebaying, stripping and dimantleing but putting back and making good is not so easy. If anyone lives near enough to Aylesbury and could do wiv some cash for a few days work on a capri -pm me.

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 13:57:18 PM »
i thought the paintshop was taking over soon ish?

the inner wings want acid etch, 2 pack primmer mixed fairly thin a few coats and then your 2 pack paint over the top.

If i wasn't 211miles away, i'd give you a hand a weekend mate, but after the 4hr drive i doubt i'd have the enthusiasm either!

You must have a mate or a mate of a mate in the trade?

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 15:31:37 PM »
Apreciate the thought mate   . The bodyshop is doing the outer body with the 2k gear (including etch)  but ive still got to do the underside and the wheel side of the innerwings before i can put the front struts back on. I cannot use 2k anywhere near my house cos me and my neighbours have kids, pregnant women etc in the vicinity and its realy not ment to be used in a domestic setting. Thats why i decided to use 1k zinc primer and colour on the underside and its all turned to shite. I think i need to leave it alone for a few days and calm down - now i feel realy negative about the whoiloe project - its all pissed me off - having to take the effing engine out just to swap sumps and now this - BOLLOCKS!!!!

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 15:58:43 PM »
thats the trouble with 1k stuff.... its shite.

and in the wheel archs is where you need the good stuff, i'd be tempted to use grey stone guard on the wheel archesand under neath and pay the body shop to colour them.

I'm well miffed about  having the xmember off to do the sump like!

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 16:40:39 PM »
nah, they won't do the underside - they say they can't lift the car in the booth...i'd gladly pay them more to do it but it was a flat "do that bit yourself". I can't see a solution right now so I'm grateful for these and any other suggestions - you know more than me for sure with having worked in the game.

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 17:28:24 PM »
if it was me i'd send the Mrs and kids to the zoo for the day and 2k it. simple.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 18:18:58 PM »
oh mate, i'm a soft git at heart - i was using some 2k thinners to clean up and i heard the neighbours kid coughing in their garden and shite meself....can't have any harm coming to noone else (me maybe) for the sake of this car. I spoke to the painters again and they seem sympathetic. The geezer said get it stripped back again and he'll sort it out. What i can't get my head round is the the strut towers - how the fook can anyone paint there with the struts in the way?? I can't give it to him on stands - and obviously, I can't paint the areas myself (2k paranoia and diminished self confidence) what do i do? I caqn only think to give it to him and let him worry about it. Can it be done well enough by masking the struts and shooting round them? sounds bodgy?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 18:19:24 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Ive had enough
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 20:07:58 PM »
What colour are you painting it?

Mik.

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
Had it come into my bodyshop. We'd of wheeled it into the booth, jacked it up onto stands and removed the struts, removing them is easier than masking them up.
Its not hard but bodyshops don't like it cause its not a 55plate focus, the last one i worked in seemed to get all the resorations in. At one point we had 2 MGBs a Moggy minor, a MGA and a vauxhall Firrenza.... and a 55 plate focus, ;-)

madasahatter

Ive had enough
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
   Now i know you can get iso-cyanite free 2k paint now could that help????

Still gotta use 2k thinners tho......  

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 18:11:53 PM »
Quote from: Mik
What colour are you painting it?
Mik.
Ford  modena green (74 M)

Been cleaning it up today. Think i'll stick with the zinc primer... I think i went wrong by not letting it dry sufficiently before applying the colour. I think it also needed rubbing down between coats and possibly a coat of normal/high build primer before the colour.

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:10:51 AM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
Ford  modena green (74 M)
Been cleaning it up today. Think i'll stick with the zinc primer... I think i went wrong by not letting it dry sufficiently before applying the colour. I think it also needed rubbing down between coats and possibly a coat of normal/high build primer before the colour.

I agree.    good look mate.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »
Thanks Ian - I appreciate the encouragement and advice  . I'm nearly back to where i was a few days ago so my smile is back and I'm whistling a happy tune  

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 13:42:19 PM »
haha. life is mint init mate.

light thin coats and plenty of flash off time should help prevent reactions, if you flat the primer down, its likely to reacte on the edges if you flat through, its the thinners that doesn't mix with the paint, once you have some normal high build over the top of it, get a good few coats as the 1k stuff isn't really that high build. then flash off till its well dry and then paint, don't worry about flatting that unless there are any finish issues you arn't happy with the top coat will stick don't worry.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 15:01:39 PM »
gotcha        

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Ive had enough
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 18:21:13 PM »
Might be worth using grey schutz prior to colour. Will stick to anything and doesn't tend to react. Takes colour well too.

Mik.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 18:42:22 PM »
grey schutz
I'll look into that

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
its the grey stone guard i recomended for the wheel arches, it drys rubbery... well like stone guard, Mik is right the grey is much nicer to cover with colour than either the black or the white.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
how is it applied?

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Ive had enough
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 17:57:12 PM »
you'll need a schutz gun, its similar to a waxoil applicator, it just fires it out in a spray. you'll need a compressor with ok pressure to get it on. It leaves a very pro finish (unless it runs).

Its bloody great stuff, just be careful as it sticks to everything, including your face (don't ask)

Mik.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 18:04:33 PM »
(don't ask)

I don't need to  

right so this sounds like a plan   I hope my little 2hp 50litre compressor will do? i think it does about 10 cfm at 100 psi or so...
this one be o.k? http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Schutz-Gun-Kit-Disposable-Heads-Sealey-SG14D]http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Schutz-Gun-Ki...ds-Sealey-SG14D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 18:07:34 PM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Ive had enough
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 19:48:52 PM »
Yeah, that'll do fine. Be careful though as it can come out at a fair rate. Take it steady till you get the hang of the flow rate. Start at about 30psi and work your way up till you're happy.

Mik.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 23:41:42 PM »
can you or ian link me to the right product - there seems to be quite a lot of different stuff called schutz - some of it in rattle cans even. One that caught my eye was Hamerite schutz "with added waxoil" ! I know hammershite stuff is generaly regarded as crap but is the waxoil in it a good thing?

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
Ive had enough
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 09:27:16 AM »
Stay away from anything aerosol as it'll be too thin. I've never had any joy from Hammerite, never lasts like they advertise, especially automotive products. Waxoil is just a water repellent, spraying burnt oil on does the same thing and is probably less flamable.

I Don't have a preferance for makers, just get the 1 ltr tall cans from your paint supplier (some decent motor factors will stock it too) which screw directly onto the gun.

mik.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 13:38:40 PM »
Ive looked more and i'm even more confused    been told by a supplier that schutz and stonechip are different things - stonechip, he says is overpaintable with colour - schutz he says is not    SO i looked for stonechip but found only stuff with a textured finish      Can anyone reccomend a brand that does the smooth stuff you can paint over? I can't find any

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 14:02:15 PM »
Schutz is oil based and suited for underneath,

you need stone guard, it is textured hence i said only suitable for the wheel archs,

i'd still recomend the bodyshop do your engine bay, you need the protection of 2pack under there, worse case you spill brake fluid topping up one day and your 1k stuff shrivels and peals off, 2k is tough enough to with stand splashes  from it.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 14:57:21 PM »
I think i'm best off doing the whole underside and wheel arches with black stone guard afterall...and forget about putting the bodycolour underneath. I think this will do yeah?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STONE-GUARD-6-X-1-LITRE-BOTTLES-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ180278758686QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180278758686&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STONE-GUARD-6-X-1-LI...id=p3286.c0.m14

...and instead of painting the running gear wotnot black, I'll paint that all silver to sort of match the ally fuel tank and ss exaust...you reckon ian? ...and yeah let the pros do the bay in 2k

IansSaph

Ive had enough
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 15:05:20 PM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
I think i'm best off doing the whole underside and wheel arches with black stone guard afterall...and forget about putting the bodycolour underneath. I think this will do yeah?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STONE-GUARD-6-X-1-LITRE-BOTTLES-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ180278758686QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180278758686&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STONE-GUARD-6-X-1-LI...id=p3286.c0.m14

...and instead of painting the running gear wotnot black, I'll paint that all silver to sort of match the ally fuel tank and ss exaust...you reckon ian? ...and yeah let the pros do the bay in 2k

Completly agree to it all mate. now get it done and stop fannying about       i'll have mine done before you at this rate.

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 16:03:20 PM »
righto  

Janspeedcapri

Ive had enough
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 17:36:33 PM »
I prepped inside the shell today - good rubbing and wipe wiv thinners like...do you reckon i should use the black stone guard inside there too - ive got 6 litres of the stuff so theres enough  It won't show anyway...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk