Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Decompression plates from Ferriday engineering  (Read 3779 times)

Janspeedcapri

Decompression plates from Ferriday engineering
« on: July 22, 2008, 19:30:37 PM »
Thought I'd post this up as it could be useful. They can supply copper decomp plates and gaskets for all our engines   I'm getting some to lower the compression ratio on my 2.8i ready for boost but the copper gaskets are a good insurance for tuned engines generaly.  

http://www.ferriday.co.uk/copper/gasket_list.shtml]http://www.ferriday.co.uk/copper/gasket_list.shtml

Offline Mikey J

• http://www.fordpower.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 22:23:57 PM »
I don't agree with them from an engineering point of view.  They may lower the compression but you increase the piston to head clearance to the point where you have no squish band. This has a bad effect on performance and emmissions off boost and lets face it, you won't be on boost for much of your driving time.   I'd rather bowl the pistons if possible or better still do it properly with custom pistons.  If money is tight then use stock pistons and buy a water injection kit.

Offline revhead

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »
I had a set from Mike Tanski for a 2.8 back in 2005 and used them successfully with felpro gaskets and 12.9 cap head bolts on my 2.8 turbo. The problem was the fit of the inlet manifold and I ended up using two intake gaskets on the port side!
This setup held 17psi of boost on 140mph runs down the A3 so it works. Ultimately I cracked a couple of standard pistons due to poor fuelling and timing control (standard turbo technics mechanical injection with two 803 green injectors on an MF2). This still took ages to happen though.

When I took this old engine apart for inspection (I have a new 3.0 cologne turbo with venolia pistons/forged rods) the gaskets and decompression plates looked like new.
Also no cracking in the heads but I had standard valves - exhaust valve recession was noticable however in a couple of thousand miles use.

Mike is right though - the car was a pig off boost but this was improved massively by fitting the heavier 2.9 flywheel when I went over to the Mt75 box.
Fuel economy overall was terrible!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:22:41 AM by revhead »

Offline capri v8 driver

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
there is a problem whit using these copper plate's, you need some longer push rod's to get the correct geometry off the rockers.

if you really want to put some boost on the 2.8, chance the pistons first.

greetz paul.

capri v8 driver.
greetz Paul.

Capri V8 Driver.

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:38 AM »
Most of the turbo conversions for the 2.8i capri were designed to run on normal internals at standard compression - obviously not running as much boost as tonto - the  spec for the origina Janspeed conversion was 200bhp or just over with great driveability. If i stick to around 8 psi, I should be fine as is. If budget alows in the future, I will get the engine properly rebuilt for low compression and up the boost but I wouldn't do it with the standard suspension setup - have to keep the whole car in tune with it self or it could all go horribly wrong.
Thanks for the info lads...much appreciated.

Offline sierra3dr

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »
So If decomp plates aren't best suited,where can bowled pistons be bought?

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »
Burton power would be a safe bet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk