Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: ‚€‚£455 road tax for owners of secondhand cars  (Read 6977 times)

Janspeedcapri

‚€‚£455 road tax for owners of secondhand cars
« on: July 13, 2008, 22:44:29 PM »
Hilary Benn, the Environment Secretary, has defended the Government's proposal to impose substantial increases in road taxes on the drivers of second-hand cars.

I'm thinking we need to make a petition   - if this happens, I will be going out EVERYNIGHT and putting my knee into the door of EVERY new car i see  

jaffa

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 23:46:19 PM »
if this is the same as other threads on different forums i think the increase is only for cars made after 2001 i think mate

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:39:54 AM »
fraid not chap - the 2001 reference is to exemption for those who bought their used car before that date  
EVERYONE with used cars bought after 2001 will be paying £455 by 2010, if it goes ahead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2008/07/13/mrtax213.xml]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...13/mrtax213.xml

What this means is that the likes of politicians who have had their classic for yonks won't have to pay more, but working class have-nots who can't afford the ROBBERY that is new cars will be fleeced yet again by the haves....Sharon the working single mum will pay £455 to tax her 1 litre Corsa from YES crap credit while Hooray henry the magistrate  will pay less to tax his brand new Rangerover.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:56:55 AM by Janspeedcapri »

JohnLawley

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:13:04 AM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
Sharon the working single mum will pay £455 to tax her 1 litre Corsa from YES crap credit while Hooray henry the magistrate  will pay less to tax his brand new Rangerover.

by a pre-2001 corsa 1.4 Sri or whatever for £500 cash then :lol:

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
No, people are missing the point...which is worrying....the age of the vehicle has NOTHING to do with the proposals - its when you BOUGHT it.

ANY secondhand car BOUGHT after 2001 will be £455 to tax.

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
Ah well, considering a couple of years ago they were banding about ideas that it could be a couple of thousand £455 doesn't sound too bad.
Have you got a link to where teh government are discussing this, I've just been all over the direct.gov website and couldn't find owt. The parkers website says this http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=1076]http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=1076 which seems to say that our tax will be going up to a maximum of £200 a year from 2010  

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »
click the link I posted in my reply to jaffa.... if you think the Telegraph is a reliable enough source.

edit -  heres another article that concerns members of this site....

"The AA estimated that the increased VED for higher polluting vehicles purchased after 2001 would make those valued at between £750 and £2,100 "almost impossible" to sell."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2008/07/12/mnroadtax112.xml]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...nroadtax112.xml
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:45:15 AM by Janspeedcapri »

Offline Mik

• Donation Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 10:03:54 AM »
Think yourselves lucky that we don't live in ireland.
they charge a fortune. eg.

<2.0= 590 euros
<2.8=1147 euros
<3.0=1231 euros
>3.0=1491 euros

add to this the ridiculous insurance rates and all of a sudden things don't look so bad.

Mik.

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:29:29 AM »
Hmmmm, that Telegraph report isn't too clear on what the outcome would be for older cars, be interesting to see what happens.
Also be interesting to see how this effects the older cars, vintage etc, as they don't pay any tax at the moment and they kick out an awful lot more crap than our tiny engined Fords

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:59:38 AM »

Mik,
by that rational,  should someone being beat with a stick think themselves lucky they are not being beat with a shitty stick? Should the Zimbabwean people think themselves lucky they are not research lad guinee pigs and accept their situation with good cheer?

If you were shortchanged in a shop by 10p do you complain or think yourself lucky it wasn't 50p? no, you complain...why? because its easy to get justice for yourself over 10p from a spotty faced teenage checkout girl who won't argue the toss. If getting justice presents any challenge whatsoever, people give in - and the government know this.
I don't feel sorry for people who lack the will to fight adversity - they deserve to be victims - unfortunately they are making a bed for all us.

littlegem4x4 - If you look around the web you will see that most people are confused by the goverment unclear proposals - this is no oversight or accident.... you can be sure that it will be made ABUNDANTLY clear to everyone once its comes into force and its too late to opose it.
The goverment isn't there to serve you - its the other way round  Like the manu fans said to Ronaldo  - WE are the slaves.  

Offline robrs2

• http://
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »
One missleading artical

Cars registered before march 2001 do not have CO figures so therefore fall into the old road tax system. Cars registered after march 2001 up to march 2006 are in the new system up to £440 per year dependant on CO
Cars from march 2006 if there in the high CO band get hit with up to £950 per year road tax.

Its not to do with if you bought a 03 plate car in 2006 it the date of registration.

Example: BMW X5 Reg 2000 "X reg" will be £189 old system

But          BMW X5 Reg "51 plate" will be £400 as its in the new system.

2 cars both the same but registered months apart and have a £200 a year road tax differance.

Offline littlegems4x4

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
I think one thing that we can all agree on is that if fuel is going to carry on the mad increases we are seeing at the moment we could all do with paying less tax, not more!

IansSaph

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:15 PM »
Country is fooked.
Emmirgration is the only solution! see ya i'm off.

Ian

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 13:52:03 PM »
Rob - its a seperate proposal - nothing to do with the issue you mention -  - this proposal is about secondhand cars (ones they don't collect vat on  ) it's another issue not a misenterpretation of the one you mention. This is a proposal to increase tax for owners of secondhand cars BOUGHT after 2001 hence the use of the phrase "SECONDHAND" and "BOUGHT" throughout the article.

The conclusion you and others are drawing is exactly intended - to get one past you before you notice - PLEASE FOLK - READ THE ARTICLE - its from the telegraph, not the beano.

If its not true - its not true, but theres no room for interpretation - it says in clear terms that increases in road tax will apply to owners of secondhand cars bought after 2001 - it doesn't say new cars registered after 2001 - thats a seperate issue.

If anyone has further comment or question for me, i refer yer asses to the the article and answers i have given previously - they stand....now bollocks too it, ive paint to remove

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 14:21:00 PM »
They will have fun trying to impliment that,

for example, I bought my Sapph in 1994. I thne loaned it to my brother in law in 2000 and he filled in the registered keeper so that the dvla knew where it was. I then took it back in 2001 and filled in the registered keeper...

At no Point did I sell it, the registration document is not a Ownership document...

TT

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 14:31:28 PM »

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 15:44:33 PM »
Quote from: TwinTurbo
They will have fun trying to impliment that,

for example, I bought my Sapph in 1994. I thne loaned it to my brother in law in 2000 and he filled in the registered keeper so that the dvla knew where it was. I then took it back in 2001 and filled in the registered keeper...

At no Point did I sell it, the registration document is not a Ownership document...

TT

Very true TT - you'l be alright. My mother in law is well upset that her exdemo motor WILL be classed as secondhand DESPITE being the first person on the logbook - as you point out, the (first) keeper ain't the necessarily the first owner. Within the proposals is also something that says even low emition motors (like hers will still cost 455 by 2010 as they will only be eligable for "cheap" tax for the first 12 months.

She argued the toss wiv me till i asked "did they charge VAT on the car?" - if no then it s secondhand - what aload of fanny  

IansSaph

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 16:16:04 PM »
Love argueeing with the mother in law they "always" know best.... hmmm

you ever win? i don't i end up biting a hole in tounge to save my marriage.

Ian

Offline Taps

• http://www.fordpower.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 16:33:27 PM »
Theres talk of none of it happening, could well turn out to be another 10p Tax fook up where they have to back down as its now come out that its going to hit the wrong people most, what ever wrong people is, I cant find a label on me to say wrong person lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 17:11:38 PM by Taps »

IansSaph

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 16:48:54 PM »
got that stamped on my forhead.

Ian

mark

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 18:01:03 PM »
is that all fook was getting worred that id have to pay lots to keep a car on the road

Stixwould_Sierra's

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 18:47:30 PM »
I first started to be wrong just after i got married  

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 19:30:11 PM »
I'm wrong so often that when theres even a glimor of hope that i'm right, i'm like a bleedin pitbull - sorry if i came over arsy lads - it all just pissed me off - like mark said, the threat of not being able to run me old ford hit a nerve  

But whilst nitromorsing (the fumes chill me out Paul  ) i realized that if it put a lot of cappas in the knackers yard mine will be worth MORE!!!  

STUPIDEST thing is that the hikes for secondhand cars (insentive to drive a new one every year) were meant to be in the intrest of the envoironment and conserving resourses...like making new cars and chucking perfectly good (and just run in) ones is saving the envoironment and saving resourses    - i bet mike fucking brewer came up with it in the first place  

oh, no wait...my mother in law is the stupidest in my life...but she lovely wiv it

IansSaph

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 22:32:33 PM »
mike brewer and every mother in law in the country get together to dicuss policies with the government at a WI meeting on a tuesday.... its true...

made me laugh on some environmentalist program a couple got slated for getting two Prius'es pri i or what ever the plural of that horrible word is, the presenter said something like more damage was done to the environment in producing those two things than your old polo would of ever done.

made me giggle.

Ian

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 22:55:59 PM »
Quote from: IansSaph
the presenter said something like more damage was done to the environment in producing those two things than your old polo would of ever done.

what the deal wiv them then? - i know nothing of them sept that actor that played eddie shoestring has one (he said so on topgear)

Numpty

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 00:33:52 AM »
There's a big smoke screen going on here. Most of the polution & CO2 is created when the cars are manufactured. By maintaining & running older cars we might be using a little more fuel, but producing nothing like the amount of polution or carbon emissions a new car takes to produce.

Polatitions & the media kicking the wrong people again...

IansSaph

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 00:45:34 AM »
Polatitions & the media kicking the wrong people again... mad.gif

No that never happens............

hehe Ian

weblefeck

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 20:43:41 PM »
we should get a tax rebate for keeping older cars on the road and NOT producing more waste and scrap to be re-cycled!

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 00:50:20 AM »
Quote from: weblefeck
we should get a tax rebate for keeping older cars on the road and NOT producing more waste and scrap to be re-cycled!

Yeah,  they should make all cars that are 25+ years old tax exempt. Cars are part of our national heritage just as much as the houses owned by aristocrats who get taxpayers money to maintain them - so it would be only fair to give owners of british made or designed cars grants to restore and maintain them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk