We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Where can i get 7mm bolts?  (Read 4653 times)

Janspeedcapri

Where can i get 7mm bolts?
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:44:20 AM »
Ive looked around and only see them across the pond. I mailed the seller concerned and they never got back  

They need to be 16mm long (threaded part) plus the hex head...so longer ones could be cut down...
the pitch could do with being slightly bigger than 1mm but any will do - if theres an option, I'll try both...

So.... M7 x 16mm or longer + hex head....4 of please  

heres a the first happy trial fit...
[attachmentid=2361]
[attachmentid=2362]
yay
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:24:32 PM by Janspeedcapri »

IansSaph

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 13:38:41 PM »
If they are only available over the pond which i doubt but try PM'ing chuckw he'd post you some i guess....

Ian

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 13:54:00 PM »
SORTED  they are ordered...exactly what i wanted  

thanks chaps

IansSaph

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 14:03:16 PM »
tut tut tut. Fancy not trying "The Bay"

You going to make a heat shield for your spark plugs mate.... they look a little close for comfort to me.... Imagine that turbo glowing red after a pasting, then melting your plug leads and cracking the plugs.

Ian

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 14:11:22 PM »
They are close-ish...but not nearly as close as the Turbotechnics manifold puts it...but yep i'm going for silicone leads and a shield, to be sure. Infact i'm going to heat shield the bulkhead where the downpipe runs too.
I'm toying with the idea of a bonnet vent as well, so air will run through the bay and up out through it - will probably graft an ally one into the GRP bonnet and paint it in so it looks just like ive made slots/louvres in the existing bonnet...unless theres a better way.

IansSaph

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 14:44:14 PM »
I'm doing some sheilds for the Bulkhead and my ABS and Brake M/S and i'm going to heatwrap my down pipes.

Have you seen http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250267305048]these?

Like little jackets to keep your turbos warm while your not driving them.      

Nah they are to keep the engine bay temps down. I'm into them lots.

Ian

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 17:05:22 PM »
Hmmm - I don't like the idea of keeping the heat in the turbo...its bound to shorten the life of it and raise boost temps - I would prefer to channel the heat out through the vent...keeping the bay and the turbo cooler?   Same objection to heatwrap realy...makes the exhaust hotter so more prone to welds cracking and the pipes warping. Of course, this is just intuition - ive no real basis for these arguments so if i'm wrong...i'm all ears...as it would be an easy solution - let us know how they work out for you

Offline JFB Tech

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 23:42:32 PM »
Your theory may hold true regarding component life but the hotter the exhaust gasses are, the faster they flow, improving cylinder scavenging and improving power.  Keeping the heat in the exhaust and out of the bay improves charge density as well as seriously increasing the life of all your electrics and hoses.
Drive it like you mean it!
IPB Image

Janspeedcapri

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:38:24 AM »
Hot gases are less dense and have higher viscosity, however density decreases faster than viscosity increases.

This is an interesting demonstration of the effect of increased viscosity.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 10:45:54 AM by Janspeedcapri »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk