Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Flushing old engines  (Read 1673 times)

Janspeedcapri

Flushing old engines
« on: June 29, 2008, 22:46:09 PM »
I heard ages ago that flushing old engines is a bad move - for pretty much the reasons stated in this paragraph - have alook and tell me if you agree.

"In an old engine you really don't want to remove all the deposits. Some of these deposits help seal rings, lifters and even some of the flanges between the heads, covers, pan and the block, where the gaskets are thin. I have heard of engines with over 280,000km that worked fine, but when flushed it failed in a month because the blow-by past the scraper ring(now really clean)contaminated the oil and screwed the rod bearings."

Simon 3 door

Flushing old engines
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 22:59:32 PM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
I heard ages ago that flushing old engines is a bad move - for pretty much the reasons stated in this paragraph - have alook and tell me if you agree.

"In an old engine you really don't want to remove all the deposits. Some of these deposits help seal rings, lifters and even some of the flanges between the heads, covers, pan and the block, where the gaskets are thin. I have heard of engines with over 280,000km that worked fine, but when flushed it failed in a month because the blow-by past the scraper ring(now really clean)contaminated the oil and screwed the rod bearings."
I dont use flushing oil as its lubrication properties are not up to scratch, in fact I'd rather put a fresh cheap fill of oil in, run it until its hot and then drain that out before using the decent stuff.

Janspeedcapri

Flushing old engines
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 23:15:27 PM »
totaly - IF i do it, i will do as they say - drain engine, fill with 0 - 20, run at fast idle for 20 mins, dump it, new filter, then proper oil (i was thinking Magnatec)

BUT point is, SHOULD I...the paragraph says Don't flush old engines...

My concern is that they are generalising about all old engines...they seem asume that any given old engine (more than 100k) is virtualy held together by the crap, and that removal of said crap results in engine failure.
I would like to offer up the possability that a BADLY MAINTAINED and COOKED/THRASHED OLD ENGINE is indeed prone to failure as a result of flushing...BUT a well maintained, looked after engine will only benefit from a flush, regardless of age/mileage.
If this is right, then its a case of finding out which category of old engine you have - a good one or one where the crap has become one witht the engine and instrumental in its continued operation.

HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE sound gaskets/rings/bearings OR crap deposits taking up slack. Slack that will tear the engine apart if the crap deposits are removed???

IansSaph

Flushing old engines
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:08:29 AM »
i'm of the same thinking mate, my Mrs has a 150k MR2 and i was a little warry of flushing, i used some can treatment in it, although it empited a load of shite and crap out of it, its feels no better or no worse than before....

I've taken the cam covers off my V6 and they are caked in cr@p inside, i'm not sure they best corse of action for it, i guess i'll just put it back together and start building a replacement for when it fianlly does let go....

Asfor your question, i've no idea and i doubt there is a way....

Ian

Janspeedcapri

Flushing old engines
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:28:29 AM »
Well for now i shall take the old "if it ain't broke.." course of action, and just change the oil as normal - get it hot before dumping it and just replace oil and filter.

I remeber an old house mates bird coming round all the time and washing up our tea cups that we never washed (just rinsed withthe kettle) she scrubbed my tea mug till it was sparkling...then as she rinsed it and showed me, it fell of the handle she was holding it by lol
I think a lesson was learned that day lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk