Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Who running oil coolers?  (Read 2668 times)

Janspeedcapri

Who running oil coolers?
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »
Seen its not too exspensive if youve got room, and since i'm fitting a bigger turbo...might be wise to plan on it now?? or not??

scratt

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 13:01:21 PM »
Quote from: Janspeedcapri
Seen its not too exspensive if youve got room, and since i'm fitting a bigger turbo...might be wise to plan on it now?? or not??
yes mate they do help alot,i do rallying & the temperature on mine was running around 120 degrees,fitted a 235mm x19 row in the front,it now runs at 90 degrees which should be around normal operating temperature.if it runs too hot the oil looses its lubricating properties.hope this helps.

Transit RS

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 17:17:24 PM »
Quote from: scratt
yes mate they do help alot,i do rallying & the temperature on mine was running around 120 degrees,fitted a 235mm x19 row in the front,it now runs at 90 degrees which should be around normal operating temperature.if it runs too hot the oil looses its lubricating properties.hope this helps.
did that need the oil pump uprating?

Offline turboshed

• Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!!
Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 21:56:30 PM »
fitting an oil cooler will not need pump upgrades,but i do reccomend fitting a thermostat as running cold oil can be as bad as running hot oil.i need to fit one to mine as cruising on the motorway oil temps are down but it works really well on track.
I have seen oil coolers fitted in front of rads and intercoolers which is a bad move due.i have fitted my 19 row cooler where the screenwash bottle was,then cut a hole in the bumper and put a scoop in so its very efficient at speed
xr4x4 twin dinky turbo, emerald k3 management,302bhp and 400ftlbs@21 psi

Janspeedcapri

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 20:35:45 PM »
Quote from: turboshed
i have fitted my 19 row cooler where the screenwash bottle was,then cut a hole in the bumper and put a scoop in so its very efficient at speed

excellent    since i have a rad and an intercooler in front of the engine, i was thinking of 2 diddy oil rads either side - this how they did the intercoolers on an audi i had...worked well using up the voids infront of the wheels and gives practical purpose to 2 nice vent/grill/scoops either side of the valance  ...only downside was that the slightest front end ding meant serious damage....nice car ...it was  

Glad some one raised the pump question - and glad its not an issue  

Thanks all  

IansSaph

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:55:44 AM »
would you leave the Standard Water/oil coiler on or bin that in favour of a air/oil cooler.

Ian

Janspeedcapri

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 23:06:57 PM »
Quote from: IansSaph
would you leave the Standard Water/oil coiler on or bin that in favour of a air/oil cooler.

Ian

i hadn't about it but seeing as you mentiuon it and ive now had at look at the blighter, i dunno how to get rid of it or stop it working. BUT i reckon it could be a good idea if it would drop the coolant temps???
i suppose your oil needs cooling more the faster you move, which suits oil rads realy - if you are crawling in slow moving trafic, you don't need much oil cooling but you need all the coolant efficiency you can get so it sounds like a plan if anyone can point in the right direction with doing it???

IansSaph

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »
Personally i'd unbolt the filter arm and remove the water-oil cooler and put the sandwich plate in its place for the air-oil cooler then either joint the water pipes together or run a new pipe from the thermostat to the heater matrix.

Thats what i plane to do... unless anyone says different.

ian

Janspeedcapri

Who running oil coolers?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 22:53:08 PM »
Quote from: IansSaph
Personally i'd unbolt the filter arm and remove the water-oil cooler and put the sandwich plate in its place for the air-oil cooler then either joint the water pipes together or run a new pipe from the thermostat to the heater matrix.

which bits which? Them fancy names mean bugger all to a chancer with a halfrauds socket set like me    

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk