We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: V@u%hA1L (@v@l13r Question  (Read 2109 times)

weblefeck

V@u%hA1L (@v@l13r Question
« on: May 10, 2008, 19:29:46 PM »
Please, dont shoot!

Right, my dad, got him self a cavalier, 2.0 (Eco) auto GLS on a N-reg 4 door!

He wants to tow a caravan, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone of the cafe/pub mechanics is saying he'll need a gear box oil cooler fitting (auto remember) u know the sort of ppl i mean.

Im not sure what the tow weight is for this car, cant find it online, But im guessing around sierra weight of 1300/1400KG. Anyone know? Inc Nose weight? Now the caravan he has is 1100kg GROSS! Only a puppy so should be within weight. Do u think he'll need a 'box oil cooler?

They way i see it is, whatever Vauxhall say the tow weight is. i.e X000kg. Surely that is the weight it would tow, as made, out the box, with out any mods i.e Oil cooler, spring assistors etc and my theory is, as long as u stay within Vauxhalls limits, u shouldnt need to make any adjustments to the car other than fitting a towbar of course!?

Thanks

Danny

Simon 3 door

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 20:21:04 PM »
Quote from: weblefeck
Please, dont shoot!

Right, my dad, got him self a cavalier, 2.0 (Eco) auto GLS on a N-reg 4 door!

He wants to tow a caravan, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone of the cafe/pub mechanics is saying he'll need a gear box oil cooler fitting (auto remember) u know the sort of ppl i mean.

Im not sure what the tow weight is for this car, cant find it online, But im guessing around sierra weight of 1300/1400KG. Anyone know? Inc Nose weight? Now the caravan he has is 1100kg GROSS! Only a puppy so should be within weight. Do u think he'll need a 'box oil cooler?

They way i see it is, whatever Vauxhall say the tow weight is. i.e X000kg. Surely that is the weight it would tow, as made, out the box, with out any mods i.e Oil cooler, spring assistors etc and my theory is, as long as u stay within Vauxhalls limits, u shouldnt need to make any adjustments to the car other than fitting a towbar of course!?

Thanks

Danny

Danny - I've never fitted an additional trans oil cooler to any of my tow cars. The only time the tranny would get too hot is in a really hot climate at high altitude (assuming it's in good nick to start with). I would imagine the Cav nose weight would be 50 to 75kg max which is average for that size of car.

Given that it's an N reg - if I were using it to tow I'd replace the springs, shocks, bushes and have the brakes serviced before venturing out. If the springs / shocks / bushes are fooked it will make it unstable to tow with resulting in a potential incident. Likewise especially given its age make sure the chassis and body is in good nick at the tow bar attachment points.

The manufacturers towing weight is usually the mass it will accelerate from rest on a 1 in 4 hill - it doesn't mean that it will necessarily pull it well. Stick to about 85% of the cars kerb weight as a rough guide for the ideal caravan mass (that way you don't end up with the tail wagging the dog) and make sure not to go over the max GTM (gross train mass)

weblefeck

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 20:59:21 PM »
Quote from: Simon 3 door
Danny - I've never fitted an additional trans oil cooler to any of my tow cars. The only time the tranny would get too hot is in a really hot climate at high altitude (assuming it's in good nick to start with). I would imagine the Cav nose weight would be 50 to 75kg max which is average for that size of car.

Given that it's an N reg - if I were using it to tow I'd replace the springs, shocks, bushes and have the brakes serviced before venturing out. If the springs / shocks / bushes are fooked it will make it unstable to tow with resulting in a potential incident. Likewise especially given its age make sure the chassis and body is in good nick at the tow bar attachment points.

The manufacturers towing weight is usually the mass it will accelerate from rest on a 1 in 4 hill - it doesn't mean that it will necessarily pull it well. Stick to about 85% of the cars kerb weight as a rough guide for the ideal caravan mass (that way you don't end up with the tail wagging the dog) and make sure not to go over the max GTM (gross train mass)

Chears fella. He got quoted £100 suplied and fitted, which i though was a bit too cheap, But if thats what the guy wants then fair enough good deal

He's getting it a full service next week and the car it's self is very clean and tidy, well looked after with about 80k in better condition than some vectra's half it's age.

Thanks

Offline Taps

• http://www.fordpower.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »
Older Vauxhall Autos, Towing = up the rad cooling
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:35:00 AM by Taps »

spanner

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
Have a good few customers who have towed caravans for years. The cars they have now have no problems as most modern autos are fitted with an oil cooler, however years ago when they owned sierras and cav's they all suffered from cooking the auto box and had to have coolers fitted.

JohnLawley

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:07:20 AM »
70kg nose weight on a 1989 2.0 CD that my dad used to have should imagine it's same for N-reg, his car also had some air pressure system for suspension you topped up via an air valve in the boot can't remember the pressure though.

change the brake fluid and maker sure discs and pads are good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk