Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA  (Read 8227 times)

bas saph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« on: April 22, 2008, 19:04:22 PM »
SORRY DONT KNOW HOW MANY VALVES ST170 HAS ?
hi started a new thread as have upgraded my plans.
i have the fiesta the engine and bits are availiable.
I need to gain more infor, so any help welcome thanks
so far i know i need the following
RST S2 LSD gear box and clucth
1.6 efi fly wheel
5 speed mk2 gear linkage
custom exaust
mega squirt ? which type i do not yet know
throtle bodies ? again what i do not know
probably engine mounts to ?

christophe

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 21:20:52 PM »
An ST170 engine is basically a 2.0 zetec the same as you find in a mondeo, so any info on fittings zetecs into mk2 fiestas will apply the same with regard to mounts etc.

The problems come with the managment and the fact that it has variable cam timing which will need a normal camshaft fitting instead and the oilway blocking up.

It also has a variable inlet tract which could be controlled with megasquirt or the like if your using that, or you could junk it and use throttle bodies instead, upto you really.

bas saph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 22:14:39 PM »
Quote from: christophe
An ST170 engine is basically a 2.0 zetec the same as you find in a mondeo, so any info on fittings zetecs into mk2 fiestas will apply the same with regard to mounts etc.

The problems come with the managment and the fact that it has variable cam timing which will need a normal camshaft fitting instead and the oilway blocking up.

It also has a variable inlet tract which could be controlled with megasquirt or the like if your using that, or you could junk it and use throttle bodies instead, upto you really.
THANKS.
Will look for info on zeetec to fiesta.
Blocking oil ways doesnt sound like a good option ?
With the inlets im a bit confused know, cause the guy who will most likely be putting it together for me said about keeping it and fitting throttle bodies.
To be honest im not to sure what throttle boddies are.  Apparently bike ones work superb to prevent lag as such.  
Are they like carbs ?

ps see you have mega squirt on orion is it a good brand?   cheers
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 22:18:08 PM by bas saph »

christophe

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 21:38:13 PM »
You can keep the Variable cam timing i think but you need an ECU with a specific output to control it, other wise it needs blocking up.

The inlet manifold is in two parts joined by rubber hoses, alot of people use the lower half (likehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/zetec-st170-inlet-manifold-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260232262637QQcmdZViewItem]This) and then fit some throttle bodies (often bike ones) onto that as you can just join upto the rubber hoses.

Megasquirt is a preety good ecu imo, its a very much diy project though,you need to be reasonably good with electronics in order to buildand use it correctly.

Have you got the engine yet? any chance off some pictures of the inlet manifold (both bits) if you have?

bas saph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 22:33:17 PM »
You can keep the Variable cam timing i think but you need an ECU with a specific output to control it, other wise it needs blocking up.

The inlet manifold is in two parts joined by rubber hoses, alot of people use the lower half (likehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/zetec-st170-inlet-manifold-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260232262637QQcmdZViewItem]This) and then fit some throttle bodies (often bike ones) onto that as you can just join upto the rubber hoses.

Megasquirt is a preety good ecu imo, its a very much diy project though,you need to be reasonably good with electronics in order to buildand use it correctly.

Have you got the engine yet? any chance off some pictures of the inlet manifold (both bits) if you have?

Thanks for input
This is what I plan to fit
bespoke inlet manifold £240,
supply gsxr 750 / 1000 t/b's £150 - £200,
modify t/b's to match port centres etc £120,
silicnoe hose coupling kit £25.
1.6 EFI FLYWHEEL £20
5 speed gear linkage £20

megga squirt has asked a whole host of questions I need to answer.  Before they will advise and price.

I havent got the engine yet.  Wanted to know price and details of required stuff.

I forgot to speak to the fitter today. I will have to ring him tomorrow

Are all ST 170 engines the same ie all silver ? or all black ?

Had no luck finding an rst lsd box though.

it looks like im takeing fiesta back to previous owner as sold as "excerlant running order but 3 machanics with out knowing what the other diagnosed all said diff is shot.  And i want reliabillity till i get all the bits together.  So I will be looking out for 5 speed cvh mk2.  Because it will be easier to convert.

christophe

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 21:08:32 PM »
I think all the engines are the same, dont quote me on it but never heard of there being and different versions, plenty of rst boxes on ebay mate, go for anything from £50 upwards with an LSD.

I'd be interested in the in the St170 inlet manifold if you get one with it and aren't using it?

bas saph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 22:52:09 PM »
I think all the engines are the same, dont quote me on it but never heard of there being and different versions, plenty of rst boxes on ebay mate, go for anything from £50 upwards with an LSD.

I'd be interested in the in the St170 inlet manifold if you get one with it and aren't using it?

will do man.  

bas saph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 21:21:12 PM »
thanks for all the info.
Idea in bin now as I have been made redundent

IansSaph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »
gutted for you.

Idea on the shelf mate....

Ian

bas saph

ST170 IN MK2 FEISTA
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 18:53:21 PM »
Quote from: IansSaph
gutted for you.

Idea on the shelf mate....

Ian
lol.  I wish will be out of work for a long time now.  so unless I get an extra couple of quid to play lottery and win its in the bin.  thanks for support

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk