We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: anyone got a capri....general wheel bearings question....  (Read 2200 times)

seany

anyone got a capri....general wheel bearings question....
« on: April 08, 2008, 17:24:53 PM »
took the capri 24v cossie in for its MOT last week....

it passed on EVERYTHING!!! yippie...no faults...

BUT, they gave me an advisory that there play in BOTH the front wheel bearings...

i remember when i checked it over for its MOT they felt a little loose...

now the wheel bearings are brand new and were only fitted about 2 years ago...i do hardly any miles in the car its my track toy, but when i do track it it gets a thrashing of its life!!!....

now i havent looked at them yet and im guessing that they just need a little tighten to remove the play...when i fitted them i followed the haynes manual to fit them as follows...

1. first tighten the nut to 20-25 nm whilst rotating the hub anti-clockwise...
2. loosen the nut by 180 degrees then re-tighten using your fingers and thumbs...
3. then re-fit the nut retainer so the holes are aligned and fit a new split pin...

so i have a number of questions....

is it possible that the extra stress from cornering on track days (it did 3 hard days last year!) is wearing the bearing out prematurly...??

is there a better way to fit them, is the haynes manual correct??

is there an uprated bearing set i could fit or better hubs??

is this a common problem, or should i just adjust them up and keep an eye on it...

any thoughts you lot???

Offline Taps

• http://www.fordpower.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 18:33:11 PM »
Quote from: seany

is it possible that the extra stress from cornering on track days (it did 3 hard days last year!) is wearing the bearing out prematurly...??

is there a better way to fit them, is the haynes manual correct??

is there an uprated bearing set i could fit or better hubs??

is this a common problem, or should i just adjust them up and keep an eye on it...

any thoughts you lot???

1. Wouldnt of thought so

2. Fingers and thumb, no wonder you have play, forget the torque setting and slacken off, adjust them a bit at a time with a spanner until there is no play felt then fit the lock cap and split pin.

3. Dont know but you shouldnt need them anyway

4. Adjustment is a service item
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 18:34:02 PM by Taps »

Offline cossiemk2

• Administrator
    • http://www.cossiemk2.tk
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 19:11:15 PM »
Quote from: Taps

You don't use split pins then Taps?

Sean, tighten the nut untill you can just move the washer with a screwdriver from side to side.

That way it has zero play and lock with a new split pin.

If you can't get the pin in tighten it just a little further.

A wheel bearing is a service item as Taps say, but excessive and wrong loading can accelarate wear, especially if you're running wrong offset wheels.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 19:12:13 PM by cossiemk2 »

Offline Taps

• http://www.fordpower.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 19:15:27 PM »
Quote from: cossiemk2
You don't use split pins then Taps?

3. is there an uprated bearing set i could fit or better hubs??

seany

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 19:17:47 PM »
thanks for the replys...

taps...and jurgen...

thats what the haynes manual says!!...thought it was a bit suspect when i fitted them, the bearngs seemed to be very loose after following the manual,...will try tightening them up until theres no play...then see how they go...

im running the correct offset for the car so maybe its just standard wear and tear, the car is used hard after all....anyway bearings are as cheap as chips so if they do wear out quicker due to track days, who cares!!

thanks for the help...

Offline KIB

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 22:32:03 PM »
To prevent play appearing in the wheel bearings after a few miles, you have to tighten the nut a bit. Tightening with your fingers is all wrong.

Tighten the nut with a spanner, then back of 90 degrees. Then tighten until there is no play and then another 25-35 degrees.
If the wheel bearings are new they need even a bit more tightening because they will settle in after a while.

If you got a wheel with an open centre, adjust the bearing with the wheel on, it‚‚žÂs much easier to turn and feel the play.

You can adjust the wheel bearing as many times as you like. As long as the play disappears there‚‚žÂs no need to change it before you hear a grinding sound when spinning the wheel...  

Regards                                         
Knut form Norway

Transit RS

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 12:55:27 PM »
when i fit taper rollers i always tighten it right up first while spinning the wheel till i can get no more, then back off to suit - that way it always makes sure the bearing outer races have seated correctly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk