We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Misbehaving Cosworth  (Read 8458 times)

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« on: March 08, 2008, 17:00:25 PM »
Right then, my Cossie is being a tw@t again, not for the first time in its life  
Heres the problem, I aint drove it for 2 or 3 weeks so charged the battery all day yesterday in readiness for today.
Now its had an intermittent starter motor problem, on and off for some time, but it always bumps if it does occasionally stick, also the ISCV throws a wobbler now and then as in it revs high from start up, but a short while after moving it she calms down and behaves normally.
BUT    today I came out turned her over, got nothing.
Nothing to out the ordinary, so hooked her up to the 4x4 and towed her round the block, normally by the bottom of the road shes away, but not today!!!
After makin myself dizzy goin round and round the block I stopped and put her back on the drive, and started making some checks. So far we know.............

Battery is charged and healthy
Starter motor is iffy but shouldnt matter on a bump
Spark plugs are dry
Fuel pump fuse is ok
Relays are ok
Fuel pump doesnt appear to be priming when ignition is on
Cant find fuel shut off switch but cant be that as it was fine last time i used it
When towing it i tried bumping in all gears at various speeds, engine was turning but did not fire once even after dipping throttle

My next plan is to check the earth connection on the pump, can anyone think of anything else to check or any similar problems they have had???
I love and hate the bloody thing in equal measure today  
Anyone got any idea where the fuel cut off might be so I can check that? Its a 1992 4x4 saff, not in the spare wheel well and cant see them behind the front drivers or passenger kick panel.
HELPPPPPPPPP  

Marty

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 17:42:16 PM »
Look into the pump shut off before looking any further

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 17:58:03 PM »
Thanks Marty, Taps did tell me the shut off switch was there earlier but i couldnt see the switch, although looking at that picture its higher and further back than i expected, ill have another look tmrw, its odd as when i last used it i got it home and as usual left it ticking over on the drive for 5 minutes before turning her off. But i definately agree its worth checking before taking the pump off!
I just want to hear that pump buzzing again then i know its fuel, the starter i can get round, but no fuel and its the slowest Cossie in town  

fatboy billy

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 21:01:13 PM »
put some petrol in it if ya giro can stretch fater the guinness

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
Quote from: fatboy billy
put some petrol in it if ya giro can stretch fater the guinness
Its got petrol in ya cheeky fat fooker  
Theres nothin wrong with drinking lots of Guinness, everyone knows Guinness is good for ya  

mark

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:50:34 AM »
Quote from: 2 saffs

Theres nothin wrong with drinking lots of Guinness, everyone knows Guinness is good for ya  
dont it make your sht black  

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 16:00:58 PM »
Right an update...........

Fuel pump shut off is fine.
Fuel pump is working fine when a seperate power source is run straight to live terminal.
Have checked fuse, it looks ok but havent got another to swap it with.

So, other than alarm or fuse, can anyone think of any other possible causes? Its getting on my tits now  

Marty

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 16:18:51 PM »
Scrap it  get a twinky

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 16:21:43 PM »
FPMSL LMAO

I just sat here with Owain an said "oh look Martys replied, bet he says burn it"

LOL

Marty

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 17:15:20 PM »
Tried bypassing the relay? could be a dodgy relay on its last legs

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 17:31:46 PM »
Well the rains set in now, but ill give that a go tmrw if the rain holds off, if it still doesnt prime after that, ill have to assume its the alarm, it doent help that the starter is stuck, if that was working fine then i could be sure its something between the pump and the ignition, still its progress, cant be far off finding the cause now.
Thanks Marty  

Marty

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 17:47:51 PM »
Most alarms I've seem tap into the ECU loom a few inches from the ECU plugs, tis easy to bypass   (PIN22)

Simon 3 door

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 18:02:42 PM »
Quote from: Marty
Most alarms I've seem tap into the ECU loom a few inches from the ECU plugs, tis easy to bypass   (PIN22)
   would never pass my attack tests and ought not to be installed that simple to bypass if it's a Thatcham approved system fitted by a VSIB accredited installer. Up until a few months ago I was a director of the VSIB - too much going on currently to give the time up... 3 door Sierra's etc LOL    

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 18:20:30 PM »
Yeah it is a category 1 Cobra, was installed when the car was brand new, obviously i cant insure it without the certificate as no one will insure it otherwise  
So im gonna try the relay first, then if that doesnt work ill have to consider the options  

Simon 3 door

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 18:26:05 PM »
Quote from: 2 saffs
Yeah it is a category 1 Cobra, was installed when the car was brand new, obviously i cant insure it without the certificate as no one will insure it otherwise  
So im gonna try the relay first, then if that doesnt work ill have to consider the options  
I've got mate who works for Cobra UK so might be able to help if its the immo side of the alarm playing up. I've just taken delivery of an AutoWatch Cat 1 system for the 3 door - going to install that before final taping of the loom so it's all buried.

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 18:36:15 PM »
Nice one thanks Simon, if it does end up being the alarm ill give you a buzz, im the one with long hair from the pub the other day  

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 15:37:17 PM »
SHE RUNS!!!!      
Thankyou to everyone who offered help and advice, it was very much appreciated, and biggest thanks of all to Taps for being my personal diagnostic machine for the last few weeks! I owe you a pint mate.
I cant tell you how fookin happy this made me today LOL.
Still not entirely sure what was up, but as you know i was getting no power to the fuel pump, checked all the usual but the starter wasnt kicking in either so I assumed the Immoby was fooked.
Well, today went out armed with some wire and a special clip courtesy of RT Autos LOL, and disconnected battery, then put power straight to the starter from the battery to check to see if i had a spark, thinking if i didnt then it MUST be the Immoby, anyways the starter kicks over but wasnt engaging, i tried it several times, but all it would do was spin, it wasnt engaging the ring gear.
So i thinks to meself starters fooked AS WELL, great.
BUT, one last thought, i reconnected battery, reset the alarm, reset immoby, turned the key and away she went purring like a kitten.
YYYIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!  
I can only think that for some reason, if the starter is jammed it doesnt arm the fuel pump, maybe something to do with the alarm, any thoughts on this would be welcome cos it still makes me scratch my head, but the main thing is, all systems operating as should, and i have a smile back on my face!
Thanks again everyone

Dan

Owain

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 18:41:23 PM »
first post on 8th march 2008 - noted problem with car
final post 3rd of april - problem gone away but not necessarily fixed

Good going, thats under a month to disconect the battery and put it back on and you've had more time than everyone else        

Glad ya got it going mate, i expect to see it tomorrow

2 saffs

Misbehaving Cosworth
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 19:27:20 PM »
Ive said it before and ill say it again............

Get f@cked shite legs PMSL

You will see it tmrw  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk