Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: Car alarm advice  (Read 2128 times)

Offline robertsand

• http://
Car alarm advice
« on: December 17, 2007, 14:21:46 PM »
Halfway through installing 24V cosworth engine in my Capri when it dawned on me that I best install a decent Cat 1 alarm system, to stop it from going missing after I've spent alot of time and money on it. Problem is I don't want to pay for an alarm system that closes window, locks doors and even starts the engine. I'm just after a decent cat 1 alarm that does the basics without a song and dance, and one that won't cost a packet. Can anyone help me here? Thanks

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
Car alarm advice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 16:23:25 PM »
It's so cheap for them to build them with the bells and whistles that most have it. The manufacturing cost is minimal.

Look at a few manufacturer websites, toad, laserline and clifford to see if they do have a basic model.

TT

Owain

Car alarm advice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 20:19:04 PM »
toad Ai606 is a basic cat 1 alarm, tbh, they all do a basic model and they all seem to cost around £300-£350 for the basic jobbie

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
Car alarm advice
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:04:53 AM »
AI606 will do most of the stuff he does not want

You can get em on ebay quite cheap with fitting..

TT

mark

Car alarm advice
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
and if you fit it yourself you will have to take it to an alarm shop befor it is rated to cat 1 standerd in the eyes of the insurance

Simon 3 door

Car alarm advice
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »
Quote from: mark
and if you fit it yourself you will have to take it to an alarm shop befor it is rated to cat 1 standerd in the eyes of the insurance

For Thatcham Category 1, the system (if not OE installed) must be installed and commissioned by a VSIB accredited installer, and is also subject to an annual health check at any VSIB accredited installer. Just in case anyone doubts me, until 3 weeks ago I was a director of the VSIB!! Got too much on my plate right now so have stepped down to concentrate on other organisations I am a part of.

As regards a half decent system, I personally (through knowledge and experience) would avoid anything from a certain brand starting with a C and rhyming with "Stifford" - that's just my personal preference based on reliability.

Anything from Toad, Cobra, Metasystem, Laserline ought to see you right. Those of you who know me and know what my normal day job is will probably not argue the toss!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk