We also host the AskNik site,just click on the Sierra

Please if you find this site helpful & wish to help with it's funding. Thank You.

Author Topic: mk1 transit bob TT  (Read 2603 times)

Offline jamie k

• Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.64 Chrome 26.0.1410.64
mk1 transit bob TT
« on: April 24, 2013, 20:50:27 PM »
hey guys im just after finishing  years of burst knuckles etc  ( you know the drill ) with a capri and this is the next culprit

its going stepside style and im hoping to fit the bob i have here with auto box twin turbos and thats where you lot come in , this isnt a huge money project as im planning on using second hand parts where possible fast and light is the aim here

so far i have started collecting parts such as a full fiberglass frontend some cheapish gauges , bucket seats , the engine and box and a set of stepside rear wings (fenders) also in fiberglass

i have a mk3 disc brake front axel sitting down south awaiting collection aswell as a few other bits and bobs ,

the reason for building this van is to tow the capri to the track and the stepside bed will allow me to carry a bike or 2 aswell to the track and back , its not intended to be the prettiest the fastest or a show winner just a bit of fun thats practical and gives me a chance to get into injection forced  induction etc tbh

heres a couple of pics of the capri as it sits as we all like pictures :)

any way back to the turbo transit i would like you guys advise on the engine side of things with regards to setting it all up etc ,
my plan was to keep internals standard until funds allow me to have internal work done then up the boost etc ,
but like so many others i am confused beyond belief with regards to the wiring of it all , i would like to keep the auto box but as this runs in conjunction with engine speed etc does fitting stand alone management cause me issues ?

ill make a list of some questions and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction

#1 keep or ditch the auto box ?

# 2 which management system is best for TT aplications ?

#3 is boost performance intake and exhaust manifolds a good investment from a bolt on and play point of view ?

#4 which turbos are best for my application ?

#5 will it be ok to run standard internals on minimal boost to begin with or will it be a nasty end before it begins ?

Offline TwinTurbo

• Administrator
  • Linux (Ubuntu) Linux (Ubuntu)
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 16.0 Firefox 16.0
    • http://www.claytune.org.uk
Re: mk1 transit bob TT
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 21:34:44 PM »
Damocos has done a single large turbo BOB, not seen a twinturbo one although theres a small number of BOA's on Twins.

Emerald seems to be the ECU of choice recently.

Dave will advise best on the turbo's but small fast spooling rather than big laggy ones . Especialy if your running standard internals.

Your probably best though starting with the BOB running N/A on a BOA ECU just to get you going.

You may want to switch out the autobox for a 5R55 or similar later box , I should imagine the aftermarket ECU will have the ability to control the autobox but do check.

Otherwise it will probably be best to go for T5 or T56  conversion.

Good luck with it, and the capri looks gr8.,

TT

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 21:48:19 PM »
Loving the Capri too mate  :o awesome

Damo has just been back to emerald for a health check with his and his mate had his twin turbo Capri mapped too.

I think he is all stock internals and 9 or 10 psi with no problems so far he has a thread on here he made his own exhaust manifold and modified the plastic inlet pipe from memory.

Dave is defo your man for spec with turbos.

I like manual boxes but that's me lol  ;D

Run in ......

Offline jamie k

• Browser:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 20:06:43 PM »
cheers lads , why do you suggest using a later box / does this avoid electrical problems ? ,

while im ball deep is it worth fitting the 4.0 bottom end and an auto box to match that by chance ? really trying to go auto as itll be nice for cruising along motorways etc and keep in with the american style  ;D also auto boxes are usually in abundance and easy to source second hand at relatively low prices , bearing in mind im trying to keep this as low budget and extreme as possible

Offline Lemon-Ade

• Donation Sponsor
  • At work
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 6.0 Safari 6.0
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 18:30:55 PM »
Stock 2.9 and a turbo or two should do it lol

Run in ......

Offline jamie k

• Browser:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 16:23:29 PM »
defo decided to stay 2.9 thought the 4.0 was a straight bolt on but justread up on how much work it takes ,

i will also need to get the seats in to figure out how the space for a manual gearbox stick will go. i thought the auto was a cheap route  but i think it  will be more problems regarding ecu  ect but ill keep yous posted

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk